Chapter 26

All rights reserved, © 2012

Not edited.

Chapter 26

Estela’s POV

Uh-oh.  If I could hit the re-wind button to earlier that night, I would have slapped myself for coming up with such a stupid plan. What was I thinking? And I even called it ingenious! Jane was right. The plan was idiotic and risky. We should have kept running.

The heartbeats slowly fade and I attribute this to the wolves walking away.

‘What’s happening Jane?’ I ask through the mind-link.

‘They’ve seen you, love. I think they will look for me next.’  She replies.

‘Okay…so what happens now?’  I hope I don’t have to pretend to be asleep for much longer. I am getting restless.

‘I think they are going to wait until sunrise to make their move.’  She says casually.

‘Great. Just great.’  I complain.

Jane laughs.  ‘Hey. It’s your ingenious plan after all,’ She says emphasizing the word ingenious with her hoity-toity accent. I have no witty retort for that because she is right. It is indeed my plan.

‘Are you well hidden? Don’t let them find you okay?’  I beg.

‘Yah, I’m practically invisible up here in the trees. Even the birds can’t see me, I’m that good.’  She jokes.

Jane has this ability to always lighten the mood and make me feel better. I begin to relax. Over the next few hours I twist and turn like any sleeping person would. I chat with Jane and we keep each other entertained.

Just before dawn, the forest becomes eerily quiet. The crickets cease their chirping, the leaves stop rustling in the gentle breeze and the animals freeze in their tracks. It is as if the entire forest has come to a standstill. The first few rays of morning sun break through the leaves of the thicket. Shit. And just like that the activity in the forest resumes.Jane and I go over the plan again, both of us nervous that the other may forget. Our survival is tied to each other and if one of us were to die, then the other would surely die too. It is as simple as that.

“Stelllllaaaaaa! Stelllaaaaa!” The voice that I have come to hate shouts. “Stellaaaa! Where are you?”  How predictable.

‘Showtime, Estela.’  Jane says in my mind.

‘Is she alone?’  I ask, knowing that Jane can see everything from her perch in the trees.

‘It definitely seems that way, but the other two are watching from a distance, waiting for me to follow you.’  Jane informs.

I stand up and peer out of the thicket. I can see Abby who is fully dressed, looking around as if she doesn’t know where I am. She shouts my name a few more times. Taking a deep breath, I plaster a look of relief on my face before running out of the thicket and straight into her arms.

“Abby! Is it really true?” I ask holding onto her tightly. To Abby it may seem like I am relieved to see her, but in reality I am trying to squeeze her to death.

“Yeah, it’s me.” She replies returning the squeeze.

 “Oh my God! You found me, you found me.” I whisper into her hair inhaling her trademark citrus scented shampoo.  The smell makes me sick to my stomach.

“Oh Stella. I’m so sorry I left you at that party. I didn’t mean to but things got so hot with that guy and I was a little drunk. Forgive me?” She is convincing, I’ll give her that.