Chapter 31

A/N: A big thank you to all of you who read, vote, comment and fan. I would love to thank each of you personally and reply to your comments, but then, I would not have time to write this story. Your encouragement, feedback and support drives me to finish the story. : )

All rights reserved, © 2012

Not edited.

Chapter 31

As Estela dragged Declan towards the rest of the group, Jane moved closer to the Alpha. The last thing she wanted was for anyone to hear what she had to say. Especially Estela.

The Alpha, who knew her secret had expected her to be happy with the turn of events. Which is why, when she broke down in his arms he was bewildered, surprised and confused. He remained quiet, allowing her to take her time knowing that she would talk when she was ready.  Not sure what to do, he mumbled a few soothing words and patted her on her back. And when she did stop it was only because her tears had run dry. The guilt and fear that had caused her breakdown continued to weigh heavily on her heart.

“I can’t be his mate.” She explained.

“Why not?” He questioned, shocked at the absurdity of her statement.

Jane looked down at her feet, her fingers playing nervously with the hem of the shirt that the back up crew had lent her. “Because… he doesn’t know the truth about me. I’m not Jane, I’m Elara. And I’m the heir to the throne. Wherever I go, danger will follow and I cannot bear to put Declan or your pack in danger.”

“That is very noble of you, kiddo. But, that is his decision to make too. You have to tell him the truth and let him decide what he wants for himself and our pack.” The wise Alpha advised.

“But you know as well as I do that this will never end, not until I find out who is behind this and even then how will I make it stop?”

“I can’t argue with you there…but we can help you.”

She contemplated this for some minutes before she nodded. “You are right, I could use the help.  However, I cannot tell him now. I want to see my parents first. I need to tell them and Estela before I can tell anyone else.”

“Fair enough,” The Alpha smiled gently.

 A frown appeared on her face as her confidence wavered. “But…but what if they don’t want me? How can I live in the same town knowing that my family doesn’t want me?”

“What are you talking about? Of course they want you! They have wanted you every day, they have missed you every day and cried for you every day and most importantly, they have loved you every single day.” He  explained passionately.

“Then why didn’t they come looking for me?” She asked, tears trickled down her face.

“Look kiddo, when you get to my age you learn a few things along the way.  And one of the things that I have learned is that assumptions are bad for you. Don’t make assumptions. The world isn’t black and white.” He explained.

“That’s nice, Alpha…It makes sense but it doesn’t take away the pain.” She whispered.

The Alpha sighed. “What I am trying to say is that there are many sides to a story. Your parents were warned that if they looked for you, you would be killed.  So they didn’t look for you in the hope that you would be allowed to live. And even if they had tried to look for you, they wouldn’t have known where to start. This thing…this thing didn’t start with you, you know?”

“What do you mean?” She questioned, chills running through her body.

“You weren’t the first one taken from your family. Your Uncle Sean was also kidnapped as a child and he was killed. Your parents had good reason for their inaction. Please don’t jump to conclusions…just talk to them…give them a chance.” He begged.

“Bloody hell! And to think that all these years I have lived with the pain of rejection and abandonment that wasn’t even true, real or justified.”

“It may not have been true, but it was real for you and it was definitely justified. That was how you perceived your situation with the information you had. Don’t be so hard on yourself, kiddo. You’ve been through a lot.”

“I have, haven’t I?” Jane chuckled bitterly.

Feeling extremely sorry for her, the Alpha enveloped her in a comforting hug. “And just think it, not only will you have your family back, but you will have a new family too and I will have a daughter!” He said enthusiastically.

She laughed and pulled away to look at the Alpha’s face.  “Will Declan be angry that I wasn’t honest with him from the start? Do you think he will feel betrayed that I didn’t even tell him my real name?” She asked.

“Possibly.” The Alpha replied truthfully. “But, I’ll knock some sense into him when the time comes. Don’t you worry.” He said, trying to lighten her mood.

“What should I do Alpha?” She asked, confused.

“Well, kiddo. This is the way I look at it. So far in life, you have been dealt a shitty hand of cards.  So when your luck begins to change and you have a chance at happiness, grab it by its ears and ride the ride. You know?”

A tiny laugh escaped Jane’s lips.

“If I were you, I would tell Declan that Jane isn’t your real name and that when the time is right you will tell him your secret. And, be sure to use your womanly charms. Bat an eyelid, flash a smile, touch his arm…he will be putty in your hands…and don’t tell him I said that.” He winked.

“Thank you, Alpha.” She giggled.

“Anytime, kiddo.”

Jane pursed her lips into a smile as she got up and walked back towards the group, the Alpha following behind her. Once amongst the group she sought out Declan and pulled him to the side.

“You have to trust me, Declan.” She said seriously.

“I do, Jane.” He replied, confused.

“That’s just it. My name isn’t Jane.” She mumbled.

“What?”

“My real name isn’t Jane.”

“Oh? What is your real name?”

“I cannot tell you just yet.” She replied.

He laughed. “I thought you were going to say that your name is whatever I want it to be.”

 His statement was ignored.  Instead, Jane continued her explanation fearing that if she diverted from her prepared speech she wouldn’t have the courage to tell him. “All I can tell you is that the trackers out there are after me. And I have been running from them for the past four years. When all this is over and we are back at Blackclaw, I will tell you the entire story. But you will have to wait because I have to tell someone else first.”

He took a moment to think about it. “Okay. Who is this someone else?”

“Can you please just stop asking questions? I cannot for the life of me answer them now. Please… just give me time.”

“You are cute, you know that? I don’t care what your name is. You are my mate. Tell me when you are ready, okay?” He said, as his fingers ran through her hair. “Until then I’m going to call you Janey.”

“Thank you!” She smiled, relieved. “And don’t you dare call me Janey.”

“Fine. But…just know that I will pester you for your real name until you tell me.” He said with a wink before he bent his head and placed a light kiss on her lips.

The pair embraced for a while enjoying the comfort that each other’s presence bought them.  A call from the Alpha indicated that it was time for them to head back and join the others. Depositing his mate safely amongst the group, Declan and a small group of males left to form a perimeter around the pack. They would take first watch while the others rested.

The pack shifted into their wolves and lay down to rest, snuggling close to each other. Gentle wind blew through the forest rustling the leaves melodically. Crickets chirped rhythmically as the perfect symphony of nature soothed the group of wolves into a relaxed state. The moon, which was nestled high in the sky amongst sparkling stars, was the only one to see that the group of trackers were moving faster than predicted towards the Alpha and his pack.