25: interlude

Sooooo obviously since we don't know what Ashton's dad looks like, I'mma just make up his appearance. And like his name is now Steve. 🤷

4:13PM

Ashton sucked in a deep breath as he stared at himself in the mirror. To say that he was insecure would be quite the understatement. Seeing that photograph of how hot his friend, Luke, was, did not help this fact in the slightest.

The hazel eyed boy nibbled at his fingertips, worry filling his every being. Why would Luke offer to come see him? What if he's disgusted by him? What if this is all just a practical joke and Luke is really coming to make fun of him?

Ashton shook his head, trying to rid himself of these negative thoughts. He was supposed to be the optomistic one.

When the doorbell rang, the eighteen year old basically began to reevaluate his entire life, but he shuffled to the front door and opened it nonetheless.

"Hi." The tall blond said, showing off a crooked smile.

"H-Hi." Ashton replied, unable to take his eyes off of the boy in front of him.

Luke awkwardly stood in front of the door, two grocery bags in one hand and a small bouquet of sunflowers in the other. "Uh, these are for you. I wasn't sure what you liked so I sorta just grabbed these because they reminded me of you because you're just so sun shiney and happy... Not-Not that I was thinking too much about you or anything, I just, uhm, I thought that maybe since you were having a bad day-"

"I love them, thank you." Ashton grinned, the dimples in his cheeks deep. He was glad that Luke was also clearly nervous, which, somehow, made him a little less so.

The older boy invited Luke in, stepping aside before leading him to the kitchen. "Thanks for coming too. I know that I already said this, but it really does mean a lot to me... You can just set that anywhere."

"I'm just sorry I couldn't come sooner. Y'know, school and all." Luke shrugged, placing the bags on top of the counter.

Ashton pulled a glass vase from the cabinets, filling it halfway with water before placing the flowers inside.

"I'm, like, the world's worst host so literally just make yourself at home and don't hesitate to get something if you want it." The older boy said, turning to Luke who took that as an invitation to dump out the items in the bags.

Ashton's eyes widened when he saw the contents spread out on his counter. Candy, yogurt, and various fruits met his stare.
His eyes lifted to Luke's blue ones. "Damn."

"Yeah, sorry, I wasn't sure what exactly you wanted so I just got all of what you sent me." Luke blushed, trying to brush off the sudden attention with a shrug.

Ashton grabbed a banana from the pile and peeled it, taking a bite before speaking again. "You truly know the way to my heart: food."

"Healthy food is the way?" Luke rolled his eyes. "Not even a cookie or something?"

"I'm not really allowed much of anything else anymore." Ashton explained as Luke put the cold stuff away into the refrigerator. "As you can probably tell."

"Wow. Not even an ounce of real butter in here. Go hard or go home, I guess."

"Ever since I got sick, my dad kinda started going extreme on some things." Ashton replied with a chuckle. "The only time I get good food is on holidays and my birthday."

"That must suck some serious ass." Luke said, snatching a pack of popcorn he had brought and tossing it into the microwave. "Literally all I eat is junk food anymore, it's kinda sad. So, good for you."