Chapter 16: A Little Before

I am so sorry! I feel bad for not updating last Saturday. Its been harder and harder to find time to actually write with all the stuff with school and stuff.

Dick's POV

*One Hour & Twenty-Five Minutes Ago*

I spent most of morning listening to various voice recordings in Daniel's house. I was guessing the listening device in his room malfunctioned or something. I wasn't able to find retrieve the data from that broken thing got though, which was really problematic.

I was listening to a few recordings from yesterday ago.

"Well, it's simple really. I wanted to see me favorite band mate. But really, I thought you would notice me sooner. I have been following you for the last 3 hours." a feminine voice said through the living room device.

'Creepy, she followed him,'  then another thought entered my mind, 'Could that be the girl from that photo?' I thought, thinking back to that hung up photo.

I skimmed through the recordings a bit. Daniel often said 'Ember' towards the other voice, so I guess it's her name, or nickname at least. He also called that devil of an owl 'Spooky'.

I skipped to the most recent recording, which was this current morning.

A little glitch happened, which cut off a little part a chunk of the recording in the dining room set up. It was weird. Bruce's stuff doesn't usually act up like that. I easily shrugged it off, even Batman goes through this kind of stuff.

I went a bit forward a bit, and I heard something about a party.

"So what costume store are we going to? Phil's Costume Emporium?" I guy said, which I'm guessing was Daniel.

"Nah. If you want things done professionally, you go to 'Ghosts & Ghouls Galore!" Ember, I'm guessing, exclaimed.

" 'Kay, let's go." Daniel said. Then I heard the sound of a door closing.

'This was my chance!' I told myself. 'I can closer to Daniel and eventually learn where the radiation was coming from!'  A little part of me was feeling bad. I was technically going to use the boy for information and may just put him behind bars. If I really wanted to get the information, I needed to not get close to him,  but enough for him to trust me with secrets.

Now, I need to disguise myself as an any average guy so I can befriend Daniel.

*Fifteen Minutes Later*

Okay, I got my clothes on, now just I got to escape the Manor without getting reporters or anything on my back. And I had already gotten idea how.

I went to the garage to uncover my beauty of a motorcycle.

"Now where would you be going, Master Richard?" A familiar British voice said from behind me. Nevertheless, it still made me jump slightly.

"Just a little research trip." I responded, putting on my motorcycle helmet.

"Just make sure you return by lunch. Wouldn't want the food to get cold, now would we?" He asked, grinning a little.

" 'Course not." By now, I was on my bike, revving my engine. And after a few minutes I was out of the garage and onto the street.

*Ten Minutes Later*

Okay, I made my way to 'Ghosts & Ghouls Galore'. I parked my motorcycle in some alley and covered it in sheets.

I scan the store, looking for raven haired boy. I spot him sitting in a bench near the dressing room. If I played of as the nervous quirky guy, I may just gain his attention.

I saw that he was talking to another girl. 'Aha!'  I thought, 'That must be that other voice, Ember. But she doesn't look like that girl from that picture... Her hair's the right color, but it's way too long. And those eyes are green, not purple. Contacts maybe?'

I brought myself out of my thoughts. Time to execute the plan that I never really planned ahead about!

"Excuse me, but can you tell me where the ninja costumes?" I asked, trying to act if I was nervous to talk to them.

They both turn towards

"Isle 5 to left, why?" Ember butted in, wearing some sort of cat costume that didn't even resemble a cat!

"I'm gonna go to a costume party next week." I asked with a seemingly nervous smile. I was actually beginning to feel a bit nervous.

Suddenly Ember had a big grin on her face. I saw Daniel biting the corners of his mouth, he must be feeling left out...

"The one on 2021 W. Paper Street?" She asked, curiosity leaking through her words. Score! Now I know which party they're going too. I nod at her question.

"Awesome! That's the one me and BabyPop over there going to! Isn't that right, Dipstick?" She said, suddenly pulling Daniel into the conversation.

'Nicknames? Are they a thing? If so, I need to add that to my personal file on Daniel. But I found out if they really are together, it would be bad to put false information into the file.'

"Oh, um, yah." he said, rather awkwardly.

"So.... You two a thing?" I asked curiously. Ember's eyes bulged while Daniel's face lit up a little blush.

"No, no, no, no!" She waved her hands frantically.

"we're are just friends!" He say, emphasizing friends.

"Oh, sorry for assuming. Just thought with the nicknames and all." I confessed, letting a few nervous chuckles out. I was honestly feeling a little embarrassed by the predicament

Silence...

"Let's start over," Ember stated. I nodded in agreement. Things were pretty awkward.

"Name's Em-" Daniel suddenly cut her off.

"-mily! That's her name! Emily!" I was confused. Why would Daniel try to hide the fact her name's Ember? Is there some kind  of history behind it? Note to self, look up Ember.

Ember shot him a little glare, but he brushed it off.

"And I'm Daniel, but most call me Danny." he greeted, holding out his hand. So he prefers the name Danny...

"Name's Richard, but most call me Dick." I greeted back with a friendly smile, shaking his outstretched hand.