Chapter 19: Peru

Hey guys, do you question anything in this story (just in case I've messed upon something or you have a question on the story)? I'm happy to answer any question! You know what they say...I don't know what they say...

And before any of you question all my grammar mistakes, it's just because I'm to lazy to edit. I'll fix it when I end this story.

And should I quicken up a story a bit? It's been going a bit slow.

Danny's POV

Ember and I already ordered, already eating our food. I got waffles (even if it's already lunch) and an omelette. Ember got creme brulee, leche flan, tiramisu, caramel eclairs, and a bottle of  whipped cream.

"Betwixt, ya sure Gotham's a good place to stay?" she asked while stuffin' her face with whipped cream.

"It's a good place to stay because it's such a bad place to be." I explain, taking a sip off my milkshake. I was glad that we put past the earlier conversation. I know that it happened only minutes before, but I shouldn't let that moment change what's happening now. Should it?

Ember's face looked puzzled. She gave me a befuddled stare, holding her fork of leche flan down.

I chuckle a bit. "Who would expect me to be in a city of crime to do crime." I made a sure to be quiet while saying that. Who knows what would happen if anybody overheard.

I saw the how confusion slowly turned to understanding, and she then continued engulfing the desert. I don't care that much about the price, I know it won't be as bad as the costumes.

We then took our time and ate the whole of our  helpings. We reminisced are timed together  at the Ghost Zone and are past days fighting as we munched on our treats. By the end of it, we felt we could never be hungry again.

"Well it looks like ya two are done with your meals, do you want the check now?" Aster asked, seeing all our empty plates. I nod, to full to say another word.

Ember didn't offer to pay any of the check. She actually insisted that I pay. Like I've said before, I didn't mind. If I didn't Ember would just, ya know, dine and dash.

We quietly made are way back home, I had work and Ember had to do whatever she does when I'm away.

Ember brought out her phone as we walked, reading what looks to be a comic.

"What'cha readin'? I questioned, wanting to know what she was reading.

She looks up from her phone, an excited look plastered on her face.

"Okay, it's about this guy named Peru. He's a quarter Hap. A Hap is a person with animal like features. Peru only has a long cat tail, while his brother, Dante, has cat ears and a tail and claws. Dante served in the military. When Peru was eight years-old and Dante was back from the military for a little while, he walked into their house and found that his brother  was dead and killed by misohapists, people who hate Haps. But instead of a murder, it was labelled as a mishap, an accident. It could be because their was a person in the inside or it was covered up, I haven't gotten to that part yet." she explained, looking happier than a kid in a candy store. It looked as if she was waiting for this moment her entire un-life.

"Woah," I said, "I just want to know what's currently happening, not the full blown story."

"Fine," she said defeated. "Currently, Peru is 19 and in the military because he wanted to follow in the footsteps of Dante. His Commander's trying to give him a hard time by giving him these hard missions cuz' he hates Haps. The Commander even tries to embarrass him by making him wear this cat mask, but that backfired and Peru actually likes  it! Anyway, Peru's current mission is to infiltrate a mysterious base. Buuuuut, the base so happens to be a base for Haps who's trying to fight for the right of Haps, since they they don't have certain rights like freedom of speech, are paid lower than regular people, and aren't allowed to imitate the acts of the animals they are slightly like. It's quite racist if you ask me." She then took a deep breath after saying all of that.

"That's a pretty... interesting story." I said before she could continue, it was getting pretty long.  And I knew it wasn't the type of stories I'd read, but I couldn't bring myself to disappoint her glee filled face.

"I KNOW RIGHT!??!?" She yelled at what seems to be at the top of her lungs. I brought my hands up to my ears reflexively.

(This was actually all brought to me by a dream. The names, Peru and Dante, the whole shebang! I just tweaked a few things so the thing would make sense. Ya know, since it was a dream and all.)

She seemed to notice my reaction because quickly after she said, "Sorry 'bout that. I really love the story and nobody has ever asked me about it, so I've had that explanation stored for a pretty long time."

"It's fine." I responded rubbing my ears to get the slight ringing out of them. We continued to walk for a few minutes, and Ember continued to read her little webcomic. Occasionally, I had to pull her aside to stop her from bumping into anyone or crashing into the street. Though she didn't seem to notice these frequent tugs. In a tiny bit, we already reached my apartment. My apartment door was basically lined with packages. I knew it was so I could fix some them. It was my second job anyway.

"Ember!" I call at her, which quickly brought her head back up. She hummed in response.

"I need you to help me carry these packages in." I told her, putting authority in my voice. I knew this could end one in two ways: she laughs in my face and I do all the work or  she reluctantly agrees and helps me. Thankfully, it was the second option.

"What is this? Fan mail?' She asked as she picked up a bunch of them and brought them in, I do the same.

"I wish!" I laugh. "It's my second job, fixin' stuff and all." I place them down near the couch, which was still slightly shredded from Spooky's "little" fiasco.

Ember let out a groan, "You work yourself too hard, Betwixt. Sooner or later you'll have more wrinkles than Spectra!" 

I simply laugh at the comment. This day had it's rough patches, but it was definitely better than some others.

_______________________________________________

Her, Nightlings! Got some bad news...

I'll be off to camp for the next 2 weeks. So I won't have time to publish chapters...

<Bat Fact>

Robin was only supposed to appear in one issue, but gained popularity and continued existing.