Chapter 28: Sudden Turn

You know, I'm done with contemporary, this story is gonna go in high-gear. No more miss-nice-author! Also, I'm in a bit of a stump with the Christmas special. Might not finish it at all.

Danny's POV

We were back home now, and Ember, Aster, and I were all undressing and going back to our regular clothes, I loaned Aster some of my clothes since he left his at the party.

I, once I was decent and the others were as well, saw Ember rummaging through her costume in the living room, desperately trying to find something.

"What'cha doin'? I asked, peering over her shoulder.

"What am I doing? I'm looking for my damn keychain! I can't find my damn guitar!" She yelled, worry and stress swirled through her voice. When I heard what she said, I also started to get worried. That was her 'item', it's one of the things that ghosts were given when you start in the Zone.

Everybody begins with their 'special item'. Pandora has her box, Clockwork has his staff, Ghostwriter has his first book, Kitty has her outfit, etc. And what Ember had was her guitar. It was usually a thing from when you were still alive. It's the most precious treasure a ghost could ever have. Faded spirits often hold on there item when they start to fade. It's like their last memory was being with what they started out with; their special item.

"Whoa, maybe we left it at the back at the party. We'll check on it the party tomorrow when everything's cleared up." I suggested, trying to calm down the panicked ghost. After a few deep breaths, Ember relaxed.

"Hey, Danny," I heard the familiar brunette call for me. I turned my head to Jezebel. "Me and Aster gotta go, hope you have a nice day." She said in her nonchalant voice. Aster and I said our goodbyes and then they were gone.

"Come on, Dipstick, we still have to watch those Halloweentown movies," Ember called, almost making me forget how panicky she was just moments earlier.

"I'll make the snacks!" I called. I go ahead to the kitchen and start preparing snacks.

I got a plate and put bits of food on it. I searched the pantry for crackers, tortilla chips, sour cream dip, Sun Chips, and chocolate Kisses. I placed each on the tray and separated them all evenly. It just bugged me ever so slightly if there were any chips where the Kisses were and if there were any tortilla chips where the crackers were. I got the tray and was about to set it on top of the coffee table when I heard something.

"Ti-" I heard for a split second and then, suddenly, I saw Clockwork right in front of me, in baby form, and weight around my neck. Everything was frozen around me; Ember was opening the slot to put the disc into the TV, Spooky was in mid-flight, directly behind Ember, and everything was unmoving. My face immediately lit up with a grin, it had been so long since I had seen the ol' Stopwatch.

"Clockwork, buddy, how ya been?" I asked in a cheerful tone, acting as if everything was a-okay, which it probably wasn't. Clocky would never come over for a friendly chat. He always came if there was a reason. He was always that 'serious' type of guy.

I continue setting the plate on top of the coffee table and swirved myself to Clockwork, leaning against the armrest of the couch.

"I have been as well as I should, but this is no time for a friendly chat. It seems as if something tragic has happened in the Zone, Daniel." He twirled his staff around and made a small, circular portal that started to show a few things.

It was showing Pandora with a very angry expression, her flaming-purple hair flickering dangerously. She was ordering around her greek-looking ghost servants. And then the image moved a tad to the right, which revealed two black skeleton arms protruding from the ground and a glimmering light above it as the hands of the arms were left wide-open... her box was gone. My eyes widened, her special item was gone!