Chapter 7

I leave Benny's with Rizzo and she assures me again that she'll sort me a date out for the dance off.

"Have no fear sugar, it's in the bag." I frown uncertainly.

"Urgh won't the guy want to see what he's getting into first?" I know I can hold my own, but here in California I'm still finding my feet. I don't know what American guys like. Rizzo laughs.

"Once you open your mouth chick they'll be eating out of your hand. Seriously don't stress it." I take her word for it, no one likes a girl whose always fishing for compliments. We stand by the road as she waits for her lift, a small smile on her face.

"What so funny?" I ask, and she indicates up the road. A black car with some sort of stripes on the side of it is coming our way. The driver is wearing shades, a fag hanging out of his mouth. He cocks his head towards Rizzo as he pulls up.

"I'll catch you later sugar," she says smirking as she jumps into the front seat, and the driver gives me the once over. I raise my hand watching as they drive off.

"Hey! Evelyn get your ass over here!" I turn around to see Kenickie on the other side of the road outside of the Ice Palace, Danny's with him and they both have matching scowls on their faces. I go join them, and Kenickie grimaces at me.

"What the hell are you playing at Eve?" I roll my eyes, and he looks at Danny to back him up.

"I was having lunch with a friend, not that it's anything to do with you," I reply hotly. He doesn't get to tell me who I can be friends with just cos we're related. Danny clears his throat.

"But Eve, that guy Rizz left with, that's Balmudo." I look at him blankly. "He's leader of the Scorpions, he smashed up Kenickie's car." I can't help laughing.

"So that's why it looks like a piece of shit." I can see by the looks they give each other that they don't appreciate my English sense of humour.

"Don't take liberties," Kenickie snarls. "You keep away from the Scorpions, got it."

"Look Kenneth I don't even know them." Danny snickers at my use of Kenickie's real name. "And even if I did, it's nothing to do with you." Kenickie pulls a face.

"Why are you even hanging out with Rizz, that chick's crazy."

"I thought she was your girlfriend?" He shrugs, grinding his cigarette into the ground.

"Nah, she'll never be that. She was just a roll in the hay." Danny shoots him a disapproving look. I wave my hand.

"Don't worry Dan, I've heard worse. I'm a big girl." He grins at me.

"Yeah?"

"I didn't come down with the last shower," I say laughing. I guess his girl is pretty uptight. "I'm not offended by a bit of straight talking."

"That's cool," Danny says watching me closely, and Kenickie coughs.

"Yeah great, but keep away from the Scorpions, got it." I nod my head slightly, I suspect my date for the dance off will be a Scorpion but I keep that piece of info to myself.

                                                            💗

I go into the Ice Palace even though I'm stuffed, and I spot Sylvia sat with her new friends. I wave over to her pleased she seems to be settling in. She gets up and comes over to me.

"Hiya what are you doing here?" She's smiling, and I can see her friends watching us.

"Oh I just came for a coke," I say. "Go back to your friends."

"Well they're not my friends, not yet." I give her a small shove.

"And they won't be if you don't socialise with them, go scat." She gives me her best puppy dog look but she goes back to join them. I spot Marty sat with Jan, and another girl with yellow hair. She's got to be Frenchy. I make my way over, as if we're old friends.

"Hi guys, how's it going?" Jan and Marty frown, perplexed by my forward approach. "Whose your friend?" I give Frenchy a big smile, and she stands up reaching for my hand.

"Oh my god, your accent is the cutest! I'm Frenchy, I used to go to Rydell but I dropped out to go to beauty school." She looks down blushing. "But I quit that after I dyed my hair pink."

"Does that mean you're back at Rydell?" Jan gasps.

"Yeah it does." Frenchy sounds embarrassed but Jan and Marty whoop. I sit down with them while they fuss over Frenchy.

"All the gang's back together," Marty says smiling. "I bet Doody's happy." Ah so she's the one going with Doody.

"Kinda," Frenchy says. "But he liked it when I was making money cos I could treat him." I scoff, and they turn their eyes on me.

"Sorry, sorry," I say hastily. "But what's this about you treating him?" 

"Yeah what's that all about?" Jan adds backing me up. Frenchy blushes.

"Doody only has his allowance, and it's not so great." She gives a small shrug, and Marty looks non plussed.

"Frenchy there is no point in having a boyfriend if he doesn't have the dough to spare."

"Does Sonny?" Frenchy asks and Marty pouts. I've worked out Sonny and Marty have some sort of thing going but they're not together. "And what about Putzie?" She turns her eyes to Jan but she laughs not caring.

"I ain't interested in Putzie for that," she cackles. We laugh but I'm not sure why she is interested in Putzie, he's kind of quiet and awkward, he doesn't seem her type.

"So what do you see in him?" Marty asks slyly, and Jan shrugs dropping the conversation. I take the chance to tell them that Rizzo and Kenickie have split up, and they're suddenly a lot more interested in me.

"I'm not surprised," Jan says. "The t birds have changed. Look at Zuko."

"I don't think he's changed," Marty says. "He wants to try something different and Sandy's got her hooks in him but they'll never go the distance." Frenchy pouts. "I'm sorry but they won't, she's not his type, and Zuko has a type." Jan nods in agreement.

"I guess," Frenchy says. "But Sandy's so nice, I'd hate to see her get hurt."

"Well either she grows up or she gets hurt. Zuko is gonna get tried of the innocent girl act before long." Frenchy looks a little indignant but I think Marty has a point, and Jan's nodding away.

"Come on French, Zuko was with Rizzo. You don't go from Rizz to Sandy without missing out on certain things," Jan says cackling again, and we all know what she means.

"I guess," Frenchy says. "But if he hurts her." She leaves the threat hanging in the air but it is just that, a threat. What can Frenchy do? Nothing.

                                                                                💗