Chapter 15

Sylvia comes bounding into my bedroom and jumps on my bed, rudely waking me up on Sunday morning.

"Urg what are you doing up so early?" I sit up rubbing my eyes.

"Have you heard about Ken?" She looks at me eagerly, her eyes bright. 

"What's he done now?" He's always getting into some scrape, probably another fight with a scorpion or something. Sylvia gets under my bedcovers, shoving me over.

"His ex-girlfriend's pregnant," she whispers. "Everyone was talking about it at the drive-in." I groan, I knew Rizzo was kidding herself that her period was late but how does everyone else know? I've not said a word.

"Who told you, Sylvie?" She looks at me, clearly disappointed by my lack of reaction.

"Marty, she was telling everyone." Holy cow, Marty's supposed to be Rizz's best friend. What the hell is she playing at?

"You just keep it to yourself okay?"

Sylvie shakes her head. "Everyone I know knows. Seriously, Eve, the news is out."

"Well don't tell mum, she'll only go blabbing to Ken's parents and it'll all get out of hand," I warn her and she pouts. I mean it though, the fewer people who know about this the better.

                                                         💕

As soon as I'm up I call Rizzo, wanting to know if Sylvia's story is correct.

"I can't fucking believe it," Rizz snaps the minute I mention the gossip. "Marty's supposed to be my friend, and I mentioned I was late and now the whole world thinks I'm pregnant." I let her rant on for a while longer, I don't blame her for being pissed off. 

"What are you going to do Rizz?" I ask once she's calmed down, and she sighs down the phone.

"I have no fucking clue, I'll front it out but Eve, my period is way late, I'm beginning to think..." She breaks off and I inhale deeply.

"Shit Rizz, you need to get your act together. Say you are upduffed, who's the father?" There's silence on the end of the line and I'm sure it's Kenickie. Why she won't admit it, I don't know.

"The father doesn't matter," she says impatiently. "It was just some hookup."

I shake my head disbelief. "Yeah it does Rizz, he might want to know, he might want to help." There's silence on the end of the line and I can well imagine the scowl on her face.

"Look I'll handle it, I'm used to looking after myself."

Now I'm quiet, what can I say to that? If she is pregnant, and it is Kenickie's surely he'll realise before long anyway...

                                                         💕

Not long after I got off the phone with Rizzo Frenchy called me, asking me to go over to her house for 'top-secret talks.' I didn't know why she was being so cloak and dagger about it all, and I was a bit surprised she invited me since I don't know her that well.

"Evelyn, come on in," she exclaims almost dragging me through the door. "My folks are out so we've got the house to ourselves."

"Then why are you whispering?" She's dropped her voice to a stage whisper.

"Was I?" she asks with a small frown. "Maybe I was cos this is such a delicate matter." I follow her through to the living room where Marty, Jan and Sandy are sat. I'm even more surprised by Sandy's presence than my own, I didn't think her and Rizz had the time of day for each other.