Chapter 16

"Do you really think she's PG?" Paulette hisses at lunchtime looking across the cafeteria at Rizzo, who for once is sat by herself. I pretend I'm engrossed in my sandwich as they all seem to think I have some inside info. Which is an absolute joke. Rizzo's been hanging out at ours but Eve told me, in no uncertain terms, to stop gossiping and mind my own business when I asked her about it.

"I can't believe Rizz would get caught out," Steph says with a deep frown.

"Well it's just a matter of time if you...you know," Sharon says and her cheeks turn pink.

"Not necessarily," Louis says grinning at her, and her flush deepens.

"Actually, I don't think she is," Steph says glancing quickly at Rizzo. "I think Marty's talking shit, probably cos Vince kicked her to the kerb. I heard from some guy in their class that they've fallen out, and I bet that's why."

"What guy?" Johnny asks his voice stern.

Steph smiles pleased by his reaction. "Oh, just Putzie. He's blond, kinda cute, the total opposite of you in the looks department." She's clearly trying to wind him up and he rewards her with a scowl.

"You think Putzie's cute?" He looks at Louis and they both fake laugh.

Steph rolls her eyes. "Yeah I do," she says chewing her gum loudly. "I think lots of guys are cute. You're not the only one who can look." There's a sharp intake of breath around the table, Steph's clearly looking for a fight.

Johnny's jaw tightens and his eyes narrow. "I ain't having you make a fool out of me." Steph smiles slightly and she looks pointedly in Paulette's direction. "I mean it Steph," he warns. "You better get this dumb idea out of your head about me and..."

"And who Johnny?" she asks tilting her head at him.

Johnny opens his mouth and then closes it again. "About me and anyone," he finally says his voice rising an octave.

Stephanie casts her eyes over everyone at the table and Louis looks down. He must know something! But almost instantly he's shuffling closer to Sharon and whispering something in her ear. Steph pulls a face before turning back to her lunch, and I know there's trouble ahead.

                                                                         💗

"Oh hi Kenickie," I say when I walk into the bowling alley and see him talking to Greg, the guy who runs the place, by the counter. He turns around, the usual snarl on his face but when he sees Rhonda and Sharon stood with me he quickly turns it into a leery smile.

"Sharon, Rhonda, this is my cousin Kenickie," I say and they giggle beside me as his smile widens.

"I think I've seen you, girls, around," he says and they giggle again. So annoying.

"Please don't flirt with my friends Ken," I snap giving him a warning look. He's in enough trouble as it is. He shrugs his shoulders and tries to look innocent. "What are you even doing here anyway?" I ask since it's not his usual hang out.

"Just making enquiries, maybe lining myself up with a job," he drawls. I'm about to ask why but think better of it, in case it's something to do with Rizzo and his possible baby. I grab Sharon's arm indicating I want to go in, and she takes the hint but Rhonda's still drooling. 

"Rhonda," Sharon says, nudging her forward and she snaps out of her reverie. Kenickie winks and I swear she almost melts on the spot.

                                                                       💗