Chapter 27

I knock on Frenchy's door and she lets me in literally seconds later, and I can tell she's buzzing with excitement.

"Go upstairs, Sandy's already here, and Rizzo's stopped by as well."

"Rizzo?" Now I am surprised, she can't stand Sandy.

Frenchy lowers her voice. "Yeah, she said she felt like hanging out. Between you and me, I think after 'you know what' she's gone a bit soft."

I snort. "That'll be the day."

Frenchy smiles. "You'll see."

I follow her up the stairs into her bedroom where Sandy is sat in front of the vanity unit, and Rizzo is sat on the bed with a bunch of magazines open in front of her. 

"Have you switched bodies with Marty?" I joke picking one of the magazines up. "This is more her style."

"Haha." Rizzo scowls but Frenchy reaches a hand towards her hair.

"You know Rizz, I could do something with this." Rizzo swats her hand away giving her a hard look. "Or maybe not." She pouts before turning to Sandy. "So what are your thoughts then? Who do you wanna look like?"

Sandy chews her bottom lip. "I want to not look like Sandra Dee," she says and Rizzo looks sheepish. "You need to sort out my hair, makeup, ears, clothes, everything."

"It'll be a piece of cake," Rizzo says. "All you need is red lipstick, a bit of mascara, undo your top buttons, put on a pair of tight pants, easy."

"I guess," Sandy says uncertainly.

"What about this hairstyle?" I ask, showing her a picture of a curly-haired model. "Your hair's about the same length."

Sandy takes the magazine from me looking at it critically. "It would be a real change. Could you do it Frenchy?"

"Sure," Frenchy says barely glancing at the picture. "Perms are my speciality."

Rizzo rolls her eyes and Sandy looks anxious.

"Ahem Frenchy," I say trying to be tactful. "Sandy wants curly hair, you might make her look like she's had an electric shock." Frenchy grabs a pillow and whacks me.

"Maybe she has a point," Sandy says nervously. "I don't want to look like a poodle."

Frenchy starts to giggle. "Okay, we'll go to the professionals for the perm but you've gotta let me do your makeup."

Sandy nods. "Okay, why don't you get started now." Frenchy grabs her makeup case and sits in front of Sandy who closes her eyes as if she's about to face a dental extraction.

Rizzo watches for a moment before she turns to me. "Have you seen much of Kenickie? I was sorta wondering how he was doing?" She takes a drag on her cigarette acting like she's just making conversation but I can tell there's more to it.

"I probably see as much of him as you do," I say and she looks disappointed. "I guess he's cool, he's not seeing anyone if you're still interested."

"Nah, that ship's sailed," she says slyly blowing smoke in Sandy's direction.

"Are you sure? The fact that he isn't dating suggests to me that he's still carrying a torch for you."

"Too much has happened for us to ever get back together." She lets out a laugh. "We didn't exactly gel the first time around."

I don't disagree with her because, in all honesty, I'm not sure they are compatible. They're the kind of couple who'll always be on a rollercoaster of ups and downs. I turn to watch Frenchy do Sandy's makeup and it's not half bad.