Chapter 9

"Oh my god, look at that," Sharon hisses at me, and I have to lean down to hear her over the music

"Oh my god, look at that," Sharon hisses at me, and I have to lean down to hear her over the music. I feel huge stood between her and Rhonda, they look almost doll-like in their dresses. Sharon points towards the dance floor where Kenickie is dancing - if you can call it that - with some girl.

"Talk about lewd," Rhonda whispers, and now everyone's eyes turn in their direction. Kenickie's lifting his partner's skirt up over her head, flashing her knickers for the whole room to see. The guys are watching bogeyed but the girls are clearly disgusted. I feel my cheeks turning red cos he is my cousin.

"Wow, I didn't think I'd have to get my arse out on live TV. American dances sure are different," I say trying to cover my embarrassment, and Johnny laughs.

"Nah that's kinda on a whole new level for us as well." His eyes remain focused on Kenickie's partner and Stephanie elbows him.

"Knock it off Johnny, I can't believe you're eyeing up a skank like that."

"He's not the only one," Sharon says. "Look at Principal McGee."

The principal is staring at the couple, holding her chin in her hand. She exchanges a look with another teacher and they both purse their lips as if they're getting ready to act. They don't have a chance to though. Kenickie spins his partner around and some guy grabs her by the waist, pulling her into his arms. Instantly Kenickie's up in his face and the girl tries to push them apart. Another girl joins them and they're soon separated; Kenickie and the guy he was fighting with resort to flicking their fingers at each other.

"God I can't believe I'm related to him," I moan, my face burning up.

"He's cool," Goose says, and Rhonda rolls her eyes.

"More like hot," Steph adds and the smile leaves Johnny's face. He cuts his eyes at Steph. "What?" she asks shrugging. "Not jealous are you." Johnny's face freezes, and Goose exchanges a wary glance with Louis. There's a definite chill in the air now.

 Johnny's eyes fall on Paulette. "Nah it's cool Steph. Wanna dance Paulette?" Steph shakes her head as Johnny reaches for Paulette's hand, and I wonder why she doesn't say something. Johnny leads Paulette away and everyone looks awkward.

"Well it is supposed to be a dance," Sharon says clearing her throat. "Come on Jacob." She walks away, her date eagerly following. No doubt he's getting sick of the dirty looks Louis keeps shooting at him.

"Paulette really couldn't make it more obvious she wants to take my place," Steph says watching as Johnny spins Paulette around. She doesn't sound upset but her face is stony.

"Johnny wouldn't go there," Goose says, and Davey nods in agreement.

"Paulette would," Steph says and everyone falls silent. I want to ask how come she's such good friends with Paulette if she thinks she's out to steal her boyfriend but I don't know her well enough to ask personal questions.