Chapter 13

"I'm not sure I'm happy about this boy taking you out driving in his car," mum says as I'm combing my hair. "Your dad should teach you to drive." I pull a face at her.

"Likes that's ever going to happen." Dad's working all hours and I'm sure the last thing he wants is more stuff to do when he gets home. Mum has a list a mile long of things he's got to fix around the house as it is.

"Just be careful, and make sure you know where the brake is," she says relenting.

"Hey I could drive over here," Sylvia says turning her head away from the TV. "Maybe I'll learn." Mum pulls a face and I can see that won't be happening for a while.

"So is everything okay with Queen Bee?" I ask Sylvia once mum's left the room.

"I suppose," she says huffing a bit. "She's talking to me anyway. Actually she offered for me to go in Johnny's car to the drive in tomorrow." I frown.

"Be careful she's not up to something." Sylvia shrugs.

"I don't see that she is. Paulette's sharing with us as well." Hmm it sounds like Stephanie is trying to keep her enemies close.

"I thought you were going in Rhonda's car?" 

"No Louis and Sharon are, and Davey, so it'd be a bit cramped." She explains that they're now all going to see Blue Hawaii, and Louis is taking Sharon to see West Side Story tonight. That doesn't surprise me, he obviously wasn't keen on the others crashing his date.

"Just be careful, it's not worth falling out with the girls over some guy," I warn cos I do think she has a little crush on Johnny.

"Like you and Judy fell out over Bobby McGee," she says giggling.

"Exactly." Judy was like my fourth best friend, and she stopped speaking to me when I went out with her ex who was so not worth it. I'm about to impart the wisdom of my experience when I hear Danny's car beep. I rush out the door before mum can get riled up over the ghetto call.

                                                      💕

Danny drives us to what looks like an old abandoned road, there's absolutely no traffic here.

"You're really confident in my ability not to crash aren't you?"

"No, no it's not that-"

"I'm teasing you Danny." He really doesn't get my sense of humour.

"Right well lets swap seats," he says. "It's like swimming, you've just gotta jump in the deep end." My eyes widen and he laughs. "Got ya, but we do have to swap seats." We change places, and he begins to explain how the car works. It's quite cute how earnest he is, and I don't have the heart to tell him I already know. However when he starts to run through it again, I turn the key and start the engine. I swear he gulps but he pulls himself around and starts giving me directions. I slowly trundle along the road getting a feel for the car whilst Danny grips the door handle. When I manage to keep in a straight line he relaxes, and the lesson's more fun after that.

"You know, I think you're a natural," Danny says when I park up back where we started.

"I've only been driving forward and turning corners so far," I point out. "And there hasn't been another soul around here."

"Yeah but you've got the basics down, it gets easier after that. Well apart from reversing, girls can't reverse." He winks and I hit him mock outraged.

"Well maybe next time I'll prove you wrong." He grins.

"Yeah with me teaching you, you might just be the exception." I roll my eyes.