Chapter II

"So turns out , I'm working at the kissing booth for the Fair." I say as I pick up my bags from the floor.

"That sounds fun." Millie says as she locks her van and starts for the school.

I give her a look and smack her on the arm playfully.

"It's not gonna be fun Mills. It's gonna be horrible."

Millie laughs and works her way through the crowd in the hallway towards her first class of the day: Spanish.

"Bye Cass."

"Bye Millie."

~~~

"So I bought you a dress and some shoes. You should wear some makeup and try to smile there. We need business because if there's no business..."

"...there's no money." I finish for her.

Barbra puts a short, and strapless pink dress my bed.

It's cute, but it also looks like I'm a freaking fairy.

"I'm not wearing this."

She laughs and nods.

"Yes you are."

"No I'm not."

"Yes.'

"No."

"YES!"

"NO!"

"CASSIDY GOD DAMN IT! WEAR THE FUCKING DRESS!"

I just stand there. My fingers still twitching from nervousness. My stomach still churning from looking at the sugary pink dress.

My mom never yelled. She never had. I mean, Fredrick yelled at me all the time. But when he did, Barbra would just stand there and look at her hands, her eyes glistening.

"Bar-"

"Don't call me that." She hisses at me, anger in her eyes and her finger embedded in my chest.

"I'm-"

"No you're not." She says, her eyes suddenly softening and filling with tears.

"Wear the god damn dress Cassidy."

And then...she just leaves.

~~~

A knee high sparkly pink dress and matching heels later, I was at the Fair.

"Now, just sit here and take tickets. Take 2 tickets for one kiss and 4 for two."

Barbra has a pink pants suit on, light pink flats on.

"Okay. When do I get a break."

"Every hour at the top of the hour." She says, glancing down at her planner.

I nod and walk over to the stage like booth.

"Alright. Everyone older than 13, step right up and kiss my beautiful 16 year old daughter! Lucky lads come on up!"

Lads? Really My chin is in my hands and I start to hum Afraid by the Neighbourhood.

"Afraid?"

I snap my attention to the person in front of me.

He has sandy hair and eyes the color of the ocean. He's wearing khaki's and a flannel shirt. On top of his head is a beanie that says Fuck Everything.

"May I help you?"

"Yeah. I heard that I was going to kiss a beautiful 16 year old girl. But all I see is you...so."

I hit him and he laughs.