Chapter 2

Suddenly, Oak pulled off his shoes and pants, revealing shaggy brown goat legs underneath. I would have fainted, but he seemed to be able to go faster and I had to keep up.

About fifteen minutes later, we were still running, in Oak's case, leaping, as the Cyclops closed in. My heart was pounding against my chest. My breath came in short gasps as I struggled to place one foot in front of another.

"Come on, Brooke!" Oak shouted over his shoulder. His curly blonde hair had twigs and leaves stuck in it. A roar echoed in the darkness from behind me. I choked back a helpless sob and kept going.

The amount of thick trees started to lessen and the sky became visible again. About half a mile away I could see a large pine tree with a golden fleece draped on one of its branches.

"Get back here, ya urchin!" the cyclops howled from behind me. I stumbled on a root and fell to the ground, scraping my hands in the process. Oak skidded to a stop and helped me up, his bright brown eyes sending a silent message of urgency to me.

I got up and ran to the pine tree just as the cyclops emerged in front of me. I jumped back and Oak stood protectively in front of me. The cyclops glared down at me, but his eyes had a hint of greed in them, as if he were saying Oh, this girl looks like a great meal!, which is probably what he was thinking anyway.

"Brooke! Run!" Oak shouted in my ear. I wanted to cry.

"No!" I sobbed, worried for his safety. Oak shoved me to the left. The Cyclops started to walk up to us.

"Go!" Oak commanded. I stared at him. He was glaring at me.

The Cyclops pulled out a sword from its belt and approached Oak. Oak started once again to whistle.  The sweet, smooth sound filled the forest.  Birds joined in with him and I was frozen, struck by the magnificence of the music. The Cyclops covered its ears and howled. Oak pulled out his knife and started to hack away at the monster's thick skin.  Oak screamed at me again, and with tears in my eyes, I ran past the pine tree and emerged from the forest.