Chapter 22

"Fine!" Nico finally gave into Will's seemingly endless rant about the dangers of shadow traveling.  

"Shadow traveling?" I piped up, curious about this new term.

"I can travel to other places by transporting through shadows," Nico answered.

"And it is very dangerous, so don't even think about it!" Will added stubbornly.

"Do you have a better idea on how to get to the other side of the country?" Nico retorted.  Will rolled his eyes.

"Take a taxi, drive, go on a train, etc etc.  You don't always have to use up your power!" he argued.  The two of them continued to bicker while Annabeth contemplated our options.

"I guess our best bet is alternating transportation.  This way it will be difficult for monsters to follow us," she suggested.  We all agreed and started to wrap up our things.

A while later, we all were ready to leave.  Chiron stood next to us at the pine tree with the Golden Fleece.  

"Be careful.  Reyna said she will keep a watch at Camp Jupiter and have campers research where you are going.  If you are in trouble, get to their camp and they can help you.  Do you understand?" he asked firmly.  We all nodded our heads.

"Alright.  Good luck."

We started to make our way through the forest.  Oak was prepared to alert us if he heard or smelled anything out of the ordinary.  I kept one hand on my backpack strap and the other on my sheathed dagger.

After fifteen minutes, we made it to the edge of the trees.  I noticed a dull silver van parked over to the side.

"I'll drive us to this train station," Annabeth explained and pointed to one on her map.  "It's about an hour away.  Percy, sit with me in the front and help navigate.  Piper and Brooke sit in the middle seats and Nico and Oak in the back.  Got it?" 

We all nodded and didn't challenge Annabeth's plans.  We piled into the van and left our packs at our feet.  The van was small but we all managed to fit.

"Let's roll," Annabeth said and started the van.  She and Percy talked to one another as we drove, planning the best route.  Nico fell asleep in the back while Oak, Piper and I talked quietly.

"Do you feel alright, Oak?" Piper asked.  He nodded.

"Yeah, thanks to Will," he responded.  My eyes glanced at Nico as he seemed to stir slightly at Will's name before falling back asleep.  Nobody else noticed, but I smiled to myself.

"So, Brooke, how was camp? Everyone filled me in when I woke up," Oak asked.  I saw in his eyes that he knew everything.

"It's been okay.  A lot has happened," I answered.  I dropped my eyes.

"Don't worry, Brooke.  Everything will turn out alright," Piper smiled.  I returned it and sighed.

"Hey, Annabeth, are we almost there?" Piper asked.  

"Yeah, are we?" Percy whined playfully.  Annabeth glared at both of them.

"Almost.  Now shut up, you two," she answered and they chuckled.  I leaned my head to the window and stared outside.  As the scenery changed from mountains to the city, I thought about what was going to happen.  I was going to meet my mother.  My fists tensed at the thought of it.  I already hated her for doing so much harm to Camp Half-blood.  I vowed to myself never to go to her side.

"Brooke, we're here," Piper shook me awake.  I blinked, not remembering falling asleep.

"There she is," Piper laughed and helped me out of the van.  We were at a train station.

"Let's go, or we're going to be late," Annabeth said.  We made it to the platform and boarded the train.  I kept close to the group, wondering if every person on board was a monster.  I noticed the others watching too.

"Where do we go after this?" Piper asked.  Annabeth pulled out her map.

"This train is going to take us to Indiana.  We're in Pennsylvania right now, so that'll take about a day.  We'll keep alternating trains until we get to California, and from there we can take a bus," she answered.

"How long will this trip take?" Percy asked in shock.  Annabeth's face darkened.

"To take several trains in hopes of avoiding monsters, then about four days maybe more," she stated.

"FOUR DAYS?"

"Percy, this is the only way if we want to be safe and get to California!" Annabeth argued.  Percy huffed.

"We have to trust Annabeth, Percy," Piper said.  Percy's eyes darted around uncomfortably.

"We could fly on a plane, but I know Percy doesn't want that," Oak suggested.

"Why?" I asked, forgetting the reason.

"Zeus doesn't like me and might strike the plane down," Percy grumbled.   Annabeth put her hand on his.

"He didn't last time," she whispered.  The two seemed to silently communicate for a minute.

"Where could we take a plane?" Percy asked.  

"We could take one in Indiana once we arrive.  It would be a four hour ride, but that's better than four days," Annabeth replied.  Percy looked uncomfortable at the idea of such a long ride, but gave his consent.

"Alright.  If you think it's safe, then we should go on the plane," he sighed.  Annabeth kissed him.

"Good."

"This would all have been easier if Will let me shadow travel," Nico mumbled from the corner seat.

Hi, guys! So sorry for such a late chapter!!! I just read over the other parts and I noticed some small details I might change so check it out if you feel like it.  Hope you enjoy this story! Summer is starting so i am going to be free more often, which means I can hopefully update my books more often. Thanks and keep reading!