Chapter 4

"Jason!" a voice called behind me. I turned around. A girl was running up to us. She had dark, choppy hair and a pretty face. I stared at her eyes and noticed that they changed color. How strange.

"Who's this?" the girl asked after kissing Jason on the cheek.

"This is Brooke, a new demigod.  Brooke, this is Piper," Jason answered. Piper smiled.

"Well, Brooke. Why don't I show you around?" Piper asked. I nodded.

"I'm going to take Oak to the infirmary. Will should be able to patch him up," Jason said to Piper and walked away. Piper lead me around the camp.

"Who's your godly parent?" I asked curiously.

"I'm a daughter of Aphrodite," she answered. She didn't look too happy about it.

"Are they all Greek Gods? Oak mentioned something about Greece when we were on our way," I said. Piper shook her head.

"There are children of Roman gods, like Jason. They have a different camp, but some are visiting for the week," Piper explained.

"You don't look shocked," she observed after a second. I shrugged. This day has been too weird for me to get any more surprised.

"How old are you?" Piper asked.

"Fifteen," I answered. Piper raised an eyebrow.

"Hmm. The gods should have claimed you by now. No worries. I wasn't claimed until I was sixteen," Piper said. "My guess is that you will be claimed soon."

"Come on, let's get you a weapon," she said. I followed her to a large building filled with weapons, surprised I was allowed to have a weapon. I looked around. There were daggers, swords, arrows, and even explosives.

"Choose whatever you like," Piper told me. I walked around cautiously. Nothing caught my attention. Piper picked up a sword and handed it to me. I lifted it, but it was too heavy. I stayed away from the explosives.  I had a feeling those would not be too useful for me.

"What about these?" I asked. I picked up two daggers. One was gold and the other was bronze. Each had a leather grip and they fit perfectly in my hands. The daggers were about half of the size of my arm and came with a belt that I could hang them on.

"Are you sure?" Piper asked nervously. I nodded.

"Why?" I asked. Piper shifted her weight.

"Daggers are hard to fight with," Piper said.

"Well, that's okay. I like these," I said. The two daggers felt right for me. Piper shrugged.

"If you say so.  Those two are actually twins.  One is Greek and one is Roman.  Annabeth is going to find that interesting," Piper explained, chuckling.  I wondered who Annabeth was, but thought little of it.  I placed the belt around my waist and put the two daggers in the sheaths.

Piper showed me around the rest of Camp Halfblood. She brought me to the strawberry fields where satyrs (which is what Oak was) were gathering the berries in baskets woven from grass. 

One satyr who was walking towards the woods looked up and sniffed the air. He turned to me and his eyes widened.

"Grover, what's wrong?" Piper asked, noticing this. Grover trotted over to us. He had curly brown hair. Two horns protruded on his head and his goat legs were brown and shaggy, similar to Oak's. I felt a pang in my stomach as this reminded me of my wounded friend.  

Grover nervously twisted the string around his neck that held wooden reed pipes.

"Who are you?" he asked me.

"I'm Brooke Evans. I'm new here," I answered. Grover made a nervous noise that sounded like a distressed sheep, or in this case, a distressed goat.

"Who is her godly parent?" Grover asked Piper.

"She hasn't been claimed yet.  Why?"

"She, um...It's just that she smells really powerful," he answered quietly.  My head shot up.

"Excuse me?"  Piper laughed.

"Don't worry, Brooke.  Satyrs can smell the scents of monsters and demigods all of the time.  Go on, Grover," she encouraged.

"Well, she's more powerful than, um, the offspring of the Big Three," Grover whispered to Piper. Piper's eyes widened.

"Do you have any idea who her parent is?" Piper asked quietly, obviously trying to block me from the conversation. Grover shook his head.

"I'm still here, you know," I sighed. Piper laughed.

"Sorry, Brooke. You know, go to the beach over there. Percy is probably over there now, and if what Grover is saying is true, Percy might be able to figure some things out," Piper said. I nodded uncertainly, but headed to the lake anyway.

I walked on the sand towards a boy of about eighteen years, probably, standing knee deep in the water. He seemed to be talking to someone, but there was nobody there.

"Um, are you Percy?" I asked when I was behind him. He turned around quickly. He had sea green eyes that popped against his tan skin and black hair.

"Yeah. Hold on a sec," he replied and spoke to the water. I looked down. There was a beautiful girl in there, smiling up at us.

"I'll talk to the fish later," Percy told her. She nodded and swam away.

"She's a water nymph," Percy said when he saw my bewildered look.

"What's up?" he asked. I shook my head to rid my shock.

"Right. Piper told me to come talk to you.  She and Grover said I was powerful and they mentioned something about the Big Three and you might know something about it.  To be honest, I have no idea what they are talking about," I explained. Percy laughed.

"Hmm, Piper probably wanted me to see if I can help you figure out who your godly parent is since I'm one of the 'offspring of the Big Three', as Grover said," he guessed.

"Who are the Big Three?" I asked. Percy started to walk to shore. I followed him.

"The three brothers of Mt. Olympus. They are Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades. I'm the son of Poseidon," Percy explained to me. We started to walk towards the cabins that I saw before.

"The god of the sea?" I asked. Percy nodded. I remembered many Greek gods and legends from when I read a book about them years ago.

"I bet Annabeth can help. She's a daughter of Athena, so she's bound to have some ideas," Percy said and walked up to a bluish-grey cabin. There were small, golden pillars and a large owl imprinted on the doors. We walked in.