Chapter 14

I walked back to my cabin. The sun was starting to set and cast streaks of gold across camp. I took a quick shower and got dressed for dinner.

"Hey," said a voice behind me. I quickly turned around, and standing there was Nico.

"Oh my gods, Nico! Why'd you do that?" I cried, thankful that I was already dressed. Nico raised his eyebrows, but his face stayed serious.

"I wanted to talk to you," he stated.

"About?" I asked as I walked out of the door. Nico followed me outside. He lead me to the Apollo cabin and explained that he was going to pick up Will.

"Will told me that Oak isn't ready to go. He needs about a week to strengthen up," he answered. I raised an eyebrow.

"So?"

"So, this means that you will be stuck, alone, in your cabin for a week," Nico said, rolling his eyes. My face fell.

"Oh," I said. I have to stay in my cabin alone for a week?, I thought to myself. I sighed.

"That stinks," I mumbled. Nico was about to respond, but we arrived at Will's cabin.

***

It's amazing how quickly news can pass through camp. By the time dinner started, everyone knew about the prophecy, the quest, my strange attack, and the plan on defending Camp Half-Blood.

I sat at my own table as the others ate in groups around me, laughing and talking.

"Hey, Chiron wanted me to tell you that there's going to be a meeting with the head counselors after dinner," a feminine voice behind me said. I turned to see Violet, the head of the Hecate cabin. Violet avoided my eyes and ran off as soon as she finished.

"Wait!" I called after her. Violet skidded to a stop and paused before reluctantly turning around.

"Why does Chiron want me to come?" I asked. Violet sighed and rolled her black eyes.

"Because you're the head of....your cabin," she replied and ran off to her table.

I groaned. I dreaded having to meet other demigods who will most likely ignore me or feel threatened by my presence. I continued to stab angrily at my barbecue, which caused quite a set of onlookers.

The other campers got up and started to form a line in front of the fire. One at a time they scraped the remaining bits of food into the fire and puffs of colored smoke would appear. I got up, but instead of going to the line, I scraped my uneaten dinner into the garbage and sent my mother a silent curse in my head.

After dinner, Chiron explained to the head counselors that we will be protecting camp for the next few days.  I listened quietly from the back corner and avoided eye contact with everyone.

After the meeting, Chiron walked me to my cabin and told me to get a good night's sleep.  I walked into the cabin and heard the click of a key from outside, locking me in.