Chapter 8

"She's the daughter of Gaea?"

"Yes, she was claimed in front of the seven!"

"Oh my gods, she looks just like her mom." Snickers and whispers followed me all throughout dinner time. I was sitting with Nico and Hazel at the Hades Cabin table. Everyone had a table categorized by their parents. There was a table for children of Apollo, Athena, Hecate, etc. Nico claimed that he usually sat with his boyfriend, Will Solace because he had a "special note" or something. But today, he wanted to sit with Hazel and me.

"I wish they would stop whispering," Hazel sighed. I nodded. The barbecue tasted like cotton in my throat. I drank some water, but it did little to make my food go down easier.

"They'll get over it," Nico assured. I rolled my eyes.

"Didn't it take them like, three years to get used to you?" I asked. Nico and Hazel were telling me about their lives at the two camps, and Nico had mentioned how people never really got used to him until after they defeated Gaea.

"Shut up," Nico scowled. Hazel giggled.

"Hey, guys," Leo smiled as he sat down at our table.

"What's up, Leo? You can't sit here, you know," Hazel scolded, but Leo just shrugged.

"Just wanted to let you know that the Hephaestus Cabin and the Athena Cabin are currently designing your cabin, Brooke, and we should be done in a few days," Leo said and chomped down on some mashed potatoes.

"I can't wait," I groaned. Nico smiled grimly.

"Don't worry about it. Before I redesigned it, someone made the Hades cabin feel like a funeral home. The beds were coffins. Luckily, the person that designed the place left for college. Your cabin should be fine," Nico said.

"Yeah, but the cabin would just set me more apart," I complained. Hazel took my hand.

"You'll be fine, Brooke. We all know what it's like to be set apart. Everyone here will get used to you once they see that you are nice," she replied. I shrugged and continued to choke down my dinner. I haven't eaten anything all day, and I was starving. Unfortunately, it was hard to eat while so nervous.

"We're going to start building your cabin tomorrow morning. During that time, you can start training," Leo announced and left. My spirits lifted. I was looking forward to training. I was especially excited to learn how to use my knew daggers. I finished my food, but I didn't join the others when they sacrificed a portion of their meals to their godly parents. I wasn't ready to thank my mom for anything.