Chapter 6- The Girl From John Adams

News about Cameron and I's confrontation spread like wildfire. This wasn't the attention I wanted. Savannah, who I barely knew, seemed to be the most concerned about my well-being. When she first saw me at lunch, she bear-hugged me.

"I'm so sorry about what Cameron did. Are you okay?" she asked.

I shrugged my shoulders, "My neck still kinda hurts but other than that, I'm okay." She smiled, "Come sit with me." We sat down and ate lunch together.

"So is that how Cameron greets every guy he meets?" I asked.

"Seems like it," Savannah replied.

It seemed like we would become good friends from the vibe I felt.

"How are you feeling?" Jessica asked.

"I feel fine," I replied.

That was another lie. I was still hurting from Tyler's infidelity and now my neck hurt from being choked by a jealous boyfriend. I wouldn't have counted that as fine in my book.

"I'm glad you're okay, Scott," she said.

Savannah snickered, "You know, this wouldn't have happened to Scott if you weren't dating such a piece of shit."

"Who are you to judge, Sav?"

"Last time I checked, I was your best friend. Is it bad that I'm just trying to look out for them?"

Jessica lowered her eyebrows, "I know you're my best friend. Best friends don't interfere with relationships."

They argued for about five more minutes. I had honestly thought that they were gonna fight. Instead, Savannah stormed off. I ended up leaving as well. I could feel Jessica's eyes pierce my soul as I passed her. I didn't know if she was mad at me for leaving or was checking me out. I would've preferred the latter.

An interesting thing about Phoenix High I learned is after lunch, we're allowed to roam the hallways like we do in the mornings. I found Savannah sitting on the bench. She was investigating her broken acrylic nail.

"You okay?" I asked with a foolish concern.

"I don't know, am I? I just got into a fight with my best friend of 14 years and I broke one of my fucking acrylics. This was $60, too," she complained.

"I'll take that as a no, then."

I sat next to her. She pointed to a framed piece of paper with the finger that had the broken acrylic.

"Jess and I made homecoming court. You should definitely come and see us. We're gonna be wearing bluish-purplish dresses and tiaras. It's really nice," Savannah explained.

"Sounds fun. I'll come," I said.

She smiled brightly, and we started walking around. As we were passing the science hallway, we could hear a commotion. It sounded like Drake's voice, so I peeked around the corner. Sure enough, it was Drake, and he was in a heated conversation with Cameron. The way I was positioned, I was hidden behind a locker that blocked a certain part of the view of the hallway. There was no way they could see me or Savannah.

"Tell me exactly why you choked Scott this morning," Drake demanded.

Cameron scoffed, "He was singing to Jessica. You woulda done the same thing if he was singing to Candy."

My eyes widened. I never knew he was dating Candy. I nudged Savannah, "Drake's dating Candy?" I asked. Savannah shook her head, "No. He's just got mad feelings for her. He always denies it, though."

"You always bring her into this, bro," Drake said, his finger and thumb between his eyes. Cameron smiled, "Hey, I gotta get my point across somehow."

"If Scott can't talk to Jessica, then you shouldn't be fucking with that girl from John Adams," Drake blurted out.

Savannah and I gaped our mouths, "Holy shit," I said. I never expected this to happen. Drake inadvertently told Savannah and me Cameron's secret.

"What's John Adams?" I asked Savannah.

"It's another high school. That's where most of the rich people go," Savannah explained.

We continued to listen.

"Okay, what's your point exactly, Drake?" Cameron asked.

Drake snorted, "My point is you gotta stop using girls for their bodies man. That and leave Scott alone." Cameron scoffed, "I'm not using Jessica or Farah for their bodies. And don't tell me how to handle things with Scott."

"You're so dumb. You're not using Jessica but you're cheating on her behind her back just so you can get laid? That's what they call 'using' bro," Drake stated.

"What're you gonna do about it?" Cameron spat.

Drake laughed, "What I'm gonna do is rock your shit bro. Now, I'm pretty sure you don't want that to happen, but if you keep on fucking around with Farah or get on Scott, that's what I'm gonna do. It's your play, bro. Choose wisely."

I could see Cameron lost some color in his skin. He nodded really fast. Drake smiled, "Alright, it's settled." He turned and went the other way, while Cameron walked towards where we were. Savannah and I walked in front of him, pretending to just have walked down the hallway.

"Where're you going?" Cameron asked.

I sighed, "Why're you concerned?" He raised an eyebrow, "You're not going to talk to Jessica, right?"

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, "Fuck off."

Savannah and I walked away, pointing our middle fingers at Cameron.

"Jessica's too love-blind in order to believe to accept that she's being used. But I also understand why she's still with him. They've done pretty much everything together," Savannah said.

The girl I had a massive crush on had attachment issues. That was pretty sad.