Chapter 19- Fight The Power

I had fallen into a deep depression since I had stayed with Drake. I laid in bed day and night, only coming out when I had to. Drake always looked at me pitifully whenever we saw each other, almost as if he wished he could've done something. There was nothing anyone could do. My fate was already set in motion.

Soon, the day for my expulsion referral came and I got ready to go. Drake came into the living room.

"How you holding up, bro?" he asked.

"Fucking terrible, what do you think?" I asked.

He stayed silent for a while, "Did you change your mind about staying in Phoenix?"

I shook my head, "Even if I wanted to, Drake, I can't. From what my mom said last night, if I end up getting expelled, I'm going back to Indianapolis to live with my sister. So, I guess if you got anything to say to my face, say it now."

Valerie had gotten a new job as a secretary for a big brokerage company, and said she'd be able to take me in with the money she was getting.

Drake's eyes widened, and he looked down at the ground, "Damn bro, you're really gonna get me in my feelings this early in the day? Shit, okay. Well, you're one of the best people I've ever met, I can say that for sure. You've changed everyone's lives here in Phoenix. To lose you would be one of the worst things to ever happen. You're like the brother I've never had."

I nodded. Those words really did mean a lot to me, even though I wasn't really showing it to Drake.

"Well, I gotta go over to the school corporation. I'll see you later," I said.

Before I left, Drake blurted out, "I can't believe you're gonna leave Jessica like this."

I turned back to look at him. His face looked neutral but I knew he was upset. I solemnly walked over to my apartment where my mom was sitting on the couch waiting for me. Wordlessly, she got up and led me to the car and we drove over to the school corporation.

"Hello! Who're you here to see?" the receptionist greeted.

"Superintendent Parker. Scott Wynter's expulsion referral," Mom said.

The receptionist nodded, "He'll be out in a second to get you 2. Just go ahead and take a seat over in the waiting area." We took a seat and waited. The minutes ticked by and still the superintendent was nowhere to be found. Soon, the door opened, and Superintendent Parker and Principal Davis appeared at the door.

"Are you Scott Wynter?" Superintendent Parker asked.

"Yes sir, that's him," Principal Davis noted.

Superintendent Parker looked annoyed when Principal Davis answered the question for him. He led us to a room where some other important looking people sat. We took a seat opposite them.

"You're here for an expulsion referral, is that correct?" Superintendent Parker asked me.

I nodded. I didn't want to speak at all.

"Principal Davis, please explain why he's here for an expulsion referral today," he said.

Principal Davis goes on to tell them what had been happening the past couple of months. From Cameron choking me, to the confrontation in the cafeteria, and finally, the confrontation at the pep rally. He deemed me as "dangerous to the school and the people around him".

"Well, I think we've heard enough. Scott, you have been quiet these past couple of minutes. Do you have any remarks before this hearing closes?" Superintendent Parker asked.

I can't believe you're doing this to Jessica. Suddenly, I no longer was upset, I was angry. I wanted to stay in Phoenix. I didn't want to leave because some kid didn't like me.

I didn't want to leave because I was in love with a girl.

I looked over at Principal Davis, then back to Superintendent Parker, "Yes, actually, there is something I'd like to say. This man is expelling me, and I quote, "so the school's financial situation won't be jeopardized". Cameron White's family donates a lot of money to the school so that they can have their extracurricular activities. He told me that I need to be nice to him, so I won't make the school lose money which is a lie because Cameron White is the one who causes me trouble all the time. With all respect sir, Principal Davis here should be punished, not me."

Superintendent Parker looked at Principal Davis, "You know, Scott, that is a very big accusation against Mr. Davis here. You can't possibly back this claim up, can you?"

Principal Davis's breath became short and I was close enough to see his pupils dilate. I pulled out my phone and played the recording of the conversation. The audience in the room stood dumbfounded.

"John, this is clearly slander! He needs to be expelled, now!" Principal Davis boomed.

"These types of things cannot be said to a student, Carl!" Superintendent Parker fired back.

"How else was I supposed to get these two to not fight?"

Superintendent Parker rubbed the bridge of his nose with his index finger and thumb, "There is a change of plan now. Scott Wynter, you will not be expelled from Phoenix High School or any Phoenix School District school. Carl Davis, you're fired. Vice Principal Antonio Yates will be the new principal of Phoenix High School. Pack your things and get out."

Principal Davis, or now just plain Carl Davis, stormed out of the room.

"I hope this Cameron White kid will no longer bother you. If he does, Principal Yates will take care of it, I'm sure. Now, do me a favor and go enjoy your Saturday," Superintendent Parker said.

We left the school corporation building. As we were leaving, I saw plain Carl Davis sitting in his Prius, his hands in his face. He seemed to sense me and turned sharply towards me to look at me. He gave me a dark look and sped out of the parking lot.

"He's not happy," Mom said.

I wasn't going to respond to that since it was obvious he wasn't happy. But I was happy. I was happy that I was staying in Phoenix with my new friends.