Chapter 20- Walking In A Desert Wonderland

After the hearing, I took about a week off from school so the situation would hopefully die down. When I returned, the Christmas season was now in full swing at Phoenix High. They had already set up most of their Christmas decorations. They played 'Last Christmas' over the intercom. The best decoration was in the cafeteria. Instead of a Christmas tree, they had what they call a Christmas cactus. It was a fake cactus with lights strewn on its arms.

"I should've expected this," I said looking at the cactus.

"True. We are in a desert pretty much," Jason said.

Savannah walked in the cafeteria, wearing a winter coat. It was only like 50 degrees outside; it wasn't very cold outside. She stopped in her tracks whenever she saw me. She gave a wide smile.

"Sav, explain to me why you're wearing a winter coat in 50-degree weather?" I asked.

Savannah laughed, "It's cold."

I rolled my eyes. She came up and hugged me.

"I missed you," she said.

"You too, Sav," I replied.

Jason came behind us and held something above me and Savannah. It turned out to be a mistletoe.

"You know what that means, Scott," Jason said.

Before I could say anything, Savannah grabbed me and pulled me into a kiss. This one didn't last that long. As soon as she stopped the kiss, she told me, 'Merry Christmas' and left the cafeteria.

Jason patted my shoulder, "You just kissed Savannah Langley, bro! You should be proud."

I shrugged my shoulders, "That's the second time we've kissed."

He twisted his face in surprise, "When did this happen?"

"The second day of homecoming week."

"Here comes Jess," Jason said.

Jessica came into view. She wore a navy-blue dress that went down to her knees. When she saw me, she picked up her pace.

"You seem like you have something to tell me," I said.

She nodded, "I was so scared you were going to leave us. But now you're here and..."

She hugged me. I could feel her tears on my shoulder.

"There's no need to cry, Jess," I assured.

"I can't help it. I thought you were really going to go," she explained.

I looked in her eyes with a devious grin, "So is this the part where Jessica Greene professes her everlasting love for Scott Wynter?"

"Keep your hopes up, Scott!" Jessica replied.

She laughed a little, "In all seriousness, though, I'm glad you're staying here in Phoenix."

She hugged me again. In reality, I had hoped that this was the moment she would say 'Scott, I really like you and I don't want to be with Cameron anymore.' Now all I was doing was getting my hopes up.

"Well, I don't know if I want to stay in Phoenix now that you won't confess your love for me," I joked.

"Where'd this flirty Scott Wynter come from?"

"He's always been there. He was pushed to the back of my mind."

Jessica nodded sarcastically, "I see. Well, this girl needs to go study for her physics test. I will see you later, you flirt."