Chapter Eight.

Chapter Eight.

"Hey, Abby," I hear somebody say as I grab a book out of my locker. I look up and see Lia, leaning against the locker next to mine.

I smile, "hey, Lia, what's up?"

She shrugs. "Not much, I was thinking we could hang out tonight, we never get to hang out that much anymore."

I nod in agreement. Lia, used to be the closest girl friend I have, but lately, it's been all screwed up. Everything's a little screwed up now. "Yeah, we should. What did you have in mind?" I ask, while shoving a book into by backpack.

"Well, I know how you aren't exactly a girl and you don't like shopping and girly things like that because apparently all girls don't like to shop," she says giggling.

I smile. Hmm, shopping with Lia, that sounds so...not me, but I'm open to trying new things. "We can go shopping, I think I need to spend some time away from the guys anyways."

Lia's face lights up. "Really? We can go shopping? You've never let me take you shopping! Oh my god, is there a guy?" she squeals while jumping up and down. Oh my gosh, she needs to chill.

"Not really a guy, there's a guy I met at the beach yesterday, but that's not why, I just, I don't know..." I trail off in my thoughts.

"What's his name? Does he go to our school?" Lia asks, all smiley.

I can't help but smile. "Evan. He's older, like college older and he's amazingly gorgeous, like you would not believe-" I cut myself off when I hear how much of girl I sound like. What the hell is wrong with me? I don't even know Evan.

Lia scrunches her head in confusion. "Why'd you stop? I want to know," she says, getting really giddy.

"Actually, I'm going to be late for calculus, but I'll see you at lunch, okay?" I tell her, zipping up my backpack and walking away.

I don't like feeling giddy and girly, it's just not me. I don't get excited about a guy, especially a guy like Evan.

I walk into calculus and see Van already sitting at his desk. I sit behind him and pull out my binder with my homework in it.

"Alright class, I have last weeks' test grade and I must say that some of them are very impressive," Mr. Brenan says as he lays a paper on my desk. I look down and see, in red lettering, the number ninety-four with a percent sign behind it.

Van turns around in his seat. "How did my mad skills do?" He asks arrogantly.

I flash him the paper. "Okay, okay, you have some mad talent. So what?" I reply, fighting a smile.

He looks at it and says, "damn, I'm good."

I laugh. "You helped me, but I actually did the work," I remind him.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever, I'm still pretty damn awesome. With out me, you'd be screwed," he smiles confidently.

That's probably true, but I'm screwed with him too. Whoa, that came out really wrong. Now he's looking at me. I can't believe I just thought that.

I feel my cheeks blushing. Quick say something. "Thanks for tutoring me, I'm sure if my mom were actually home to notice my grades, she'd be happy," I say.

Van's jaw tenses as he looks away. "It's cool," is all he says before turning around.

What was that about? Did I say something wrong? I wasn't even being a smartass, I was actually being nice and thanking him.