Chapter Fourteen.

Chapter Fourteen.

Surprisingly, in the morning, I'm up and ready before Van has the chance to violate me like he does every morning. If I'm going to distant myself from him then I can't purposely sleep in so that he'll come in my room and wake me up. Well, that's not the only reason that I sleep in, I sleep in because lately; it's been taking me a long time to fall asleep. I just have too many things to think about.

I walk downstairs in a pair of white short shorts and a baby blue camisole that hugs my flat stomach. My hair is straightened and falling over my shoulders. I actually look really cute today, even I'll admit that it's a personal best. I mean, nothing compared to last night, but that was a personal best.

I walk into the kitchen and see Darren eating a bowl of cereal at the kitchen table. "Wow, look who decided to grace me with their presence," I say sarcastically, while walking to the fridge and pulling out the chocolate milk. I see the carton of Van's strawberry milk behind it, a smile spreads across my face as I close the fridge.

"Why are you so smiley at six O'clock in the morning?" Darren asks me.

I shrug, "no reason in particular." I pour some of the milk into a glass from the cabinet, then put the chocolate milk away.

"You know how Vance has been staying here a lot, are you guys like...?"

I shake my head, "no, he has a girlfriend."

"I see..."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"That you're that girl," he answers simply.

"That girl?" ask, still not catching on.

"Abby, are you that retarded?" Darren chuckles, taking a bite of his cereal.

I guess so because I have no clue what he's talking about. I walk over to the table and sit in front of him, with my chocolate milk in my hand. "Explain to me what you're talking about."

"Abby, you're a moron if you really can't see it," he replies.

"See what?"

"Vance likes you, Abby. Guys that have 'sleepovers' with girls and actually sleep, don't stick around for strawberry milk, that's your first clue."

I laugh. "You're a moron if you actually believe that," I tell him and then I finish my chocolate milk.

"And you're a bigger moron if you don't," Darren mumbles.

I roll my eyes at him and bring my empty glass to the kitchen sink. "Darren, is something bothering you? Ever since you got back from New York, you've been like a completely different person," I say, ignoring his comment.

Darren hesitates before answering, "nope, not a thing."

I walk out of the kitchen, not satisfied with his answer. Why am I the only one who doesn't know something? Darren knows something that I don't and Van knows something that I don't. Does everybody just get together and form a 'hey let's not tell Abby anything' club. I hate that I never know what's going on. They should just tell me because I'm obviously going to find out sooner or later.

After Van and I serve our fourth Saturday detention, he asks me if I can stop by Kendall's. Apparently he left his cell phone over there the other day, that's the only reason why I'm actually doing it. I've never been to Kendall's house and I was trying to keep it that way. I know where she lives, it's just that I've never been there.

"So what are you going to do tonight?" Van asks as I pull out of the school parking lot.

I shrug. "I'm not sure, I was thinking about just going to the concert, I mean, what are the chances that my parents will actually be home tonight? I figure that I'll just stay at a hotel or something."