Chapter 8: Movie Night

~Revised: 30/12/2023~

It had been nearly a full week since the entrance exam, and to say Katsuki and [Y/n] were getting impatient was an understatement. Both teens wanted to know their results more than anything.

Katsuki felt confident for the most part, but he needed confirmation to settle some of his late-night nerves. His attitude and temper seemed to be on edge all week. Anytime [Y/n] or his parents did anything it would irritate him. He found himself going for hikes more often than usual to try to clear his mind.

[Y/n] felt less confident about her chances every day that passed. She had finished the combat portion of the exam with 31 points and the rescue section with 40. She felt pretty good about these scores when she finished, but Katsuki was fast to shoot her down, saying he had 77 combat points. After that, she began doubting herself more than usual. She felt as if she couldn't stop all the degrading thoughts that appeared in her head. The more she waited, the more she was convinced she wasn't going to get in.

The (h/c) haired girl was standing in front of her bathroom mirror. She gripped the sides of the sink harder as she stared at herself, her knuckles beginning to turn white. She could feel her heart pounding harshly in her chest. It felt as if it were beating so hard it was taking her breath away. She was having trouble breathing. Her cheeks were flushed as she broke out into a cold sweat, her palms feeling slippery against the sink. Her body was faintly glowing as she tried to calm herself down.

She was having an anxiety attack.

It was almost dinner time, and she had been trying to control her body for 20 minutes.

Mitsuki and Masaru were downstairs cooking dinner, oblivious to the female struggling to keep it together upstairs. Katsuki was just as oblivious as he sat in his room on his phone.

Get it together, [Y/n]. Just remember your breathing techniques.... it'll be okay.... it'll pass...

The glow around [Y/n]'s body began to fade away as she felt her heart rate slowly calm down to a normal pace. She let out a big breath of air. Her hands trembled as she let go of the sink.

That could have ended badly...  [Y/n] thought to herself, remembering her previous anxiety attacks. Her intense negative emotions often led to her quirk becoming out of control. Except it had always seemed to be the harmful side of her quirk instead of the helpful, making everyone around her severely sick. She tried to push those memories to the back of her mind.

Suddenly she heard a scream come from downstairs. It sounded like it came from Mitsuki.

[Y/n] and Katsuki flung open their bedroom doors at the same time, briefly glancing at each other in confusion before bolting down the stairs.

Mitsuki stood in the entranceway with two white envelopes in her hand. She was holding them as delicately as you would hold a baby kitten. Katsuki and [Y/n] stood beside each other in front of her. She stared at the envelopes before looking over at the two teens.

"They're here!! They finally came!" She screamed.

[Y/n] felt her heart drop into her stomach. She felt excited that they had finally arrived but also terrified at what they had to say. She almost didn't want to open it.

Katsuki grunted and walked over to his mother. He snatched the letter out of her hands and walked back up the stairs.

"Where the hell do you think you're going mister?! OPEN IT DOWN HERE WITH ALL OF US DAMNIT!" Mitsuki yelled up at her son.

"IT'S MY GODDAMN LETTER YA OLD HAG! I'LL OPEN IT HOWEVER I WANT TO! WHICH IS IN MY ROOM, AWAY FROM YOU LOONITICS!" He yelled back at her. The sound of his bedroom door slamming close followed directly after.