Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Jonah's POV

As soon as she left I felt lonely. I felt like part of me was missing. I missed her. I missed her so much and it was only going to get worse. My heart was actually aching. I knew I would see her again, but right now it felt like I wouldn't. It felt like I had already said goodbye to her. My chest was painfully tight. My throat was as dry as a desert. My stomach was filled with butterflies. I couldn't do this. I couldn't leave her.

I had always been excited to do my job. Everytime I boarded the plane with Jamie by my side - on my way to some unknown destination - excitement always bubbled up inside of me. I couldn't wait to find out what I would be doing, who I would be protecting. I loved what I did.

Before I joined the army I was lost. I didn't know what I was going to do with my life; I didn't know what I wanted to do. All I knew was I wasn't good at anything - I had barely passed school and there was no way I could succeed in university.

Joining the army changed my life. When I first thought about joining, I didn't know what would happen. I didn't know what to expect or if I would even enjoy it. I loved it. It was as if I had found my reason for living. I fell in love with the training, the people, and the job.

Jamie and I had met on the first day of training and instantly clicked. He and I were lucky enough to be assigned the same squad, which I was thankful for. I had never expected to become so dedicated to my job. I had never expected to fall in love with a job at all. At school, when I thought about my future I had always assumed that I would be stuck in some borning, dead-end office job. The army changed that.

"Jonah?" My dad asked as I slumped back down into the sofa, already wishing that Amy was sitting next to me again.

"Yeah?" I asked, as I hugged my knees to my chest before resting my chin on my knees.

 "Don't worry," he smiled reassuringly, as he patted my back.

 "How can I not? She is amazing. She will meet some other guy, who is so much better than me and forget all about me. Can I really expect a girl like that to wait for me?" I sighed unhappily as it hit me. I was going to lose her. There was no way she would wait. She was perfect and I was me. She would meet someone new and realise how much better she can do, how much better she deserves. I sounded like a little love sick kid, but thats exactly what I felt like.

"Jonah, there is something special about the two of you. Everyone else can see it. I have never seen two people more suited to each other. You managed to get her to fall in love with you within four weeks - beating the odds - who says you won't beat the odds now too?" He said trying to reassure me, but the only one who could reassure me now was Amy. I wanted to hear her tell me she loved me. I wanted her to tell me that she was mine. I wanted to see her lips form the words telling me there would never be anyone else. However, I knew that would never happen. We didn't know what would happen in the future. We didn't know what I would do to mess this up. I knew I would mess it up.

"I just hate this so much dad. I have never felt this way before, why did it have to happen now?" I whined, like a little kid, staring unhappily at the floor.

"Jonah it's a good thing. Love always comes at the worse times, however, when you make it through it will prove just how strong your love is," he said completely serious for once.