Chapter 11

Chapter 11

The dust swirled around us as we marched towards the building. The coast was clear. No one was near. We just had two guards to take out at the entrance and we would be in. That was all we had to do. It should be simple. However, it wasn't supposed to be like this. It wasn't meant to be so easy. They had planned for over ten guards. They had planned for traps set up around the site. There were none.

Jonah and Jamie led the men through the dusty ally; guns raised as the scanned the area unfolding before them. They were nearly at the rebels headquarters now and Jonah couldn't wash the foreboding feeling from his mind. He tried to tell himself it was nothing. He tried to tell himself that it was just this place. However, the feeling continued to grow as the continued towards the building.

The building was in view now. Two guards stood back to back, not noticing the three squads which Jamie and Jonah were leading. Jamie and Jonah quickly aimed their guns and simultaneously shot. Soundlessly both guards fell to the floor. Dead.

Their hearts raced as they reached the entrance. The building was big, and confusing. Jonah and Jamie had been required to learn the whole floor plan. They had been preparing for this for months. They needed to know every doorway, every corridor, and every centre metre of the base. Every little detail was engraved into the back of their minds.

"Ready?" Jonah whispered to his friend.

"Yes," Jamie responded his eyes never leaving the hard wooden door that was in front of them.

Jonah signalled to the rest of his large squad before speaking into his radio in a hushed whisper, "Entering in three, two, one."

Simultaneously Jonah and Jamie chuckled themselves at the door throwing it off their hinges. Their trained eyes scanned the first room as the rest of the squad moved in behind them. Nothing.

"Secure the room," Jonah called as him and Jamie moved into the next room. Jamie quickly took out one guard before they moved to the next room; their movements smooth and skilful. This day had been practised day after day back at the camp. They could do this in their sleep.

Jonah and Jamie moved through the building taking out a couple of guards while a couple of men remained in each room to secure it. The whole time Jonah couldn't help but think this was too easy. Why was the headquarters now more securely guarded? Why were they nearing the main room of the base - the room with all the documents - having only taken out a few guards?

Jonah paused as he reached the end of the corridor, just one more room now. Slowly he peered round the corner. One guard. He lifted his gun and within a second the guard was on the ground. Jamie followed his friend into the also empty room. He looked out for anything Jonah had missed, but he trusted his friend. He knew Jonah was good at his job.

The last room. They both thought as the waited outside the final door, only two other men with them now. Jonah raised three fingers, before dropping one finger and then another. As the final finger dropped he pushed open the door and open fired on the guards in the room. The guards didn't know what hit them. All six of them were on the floor before they could even raise their guns.

Jonah charged around the room, searching for the needed documents. The documents with the rebel's secrets. However, there was nothing. Every filling cabinet was empty. The whole room was empty.

As if their mind was one Jamie and Jonah turned to each other at the same time as the other two men continued to search the room. Wild panic filled both of their eyes as the realisation fell over them.

Jonah had known it hadn't felt right. Jonah had known something was wrong. He should have listened to his gut. He should have trusted his instinct. But he hadn't. Instead he led thirty men into danger. "It's a trap," he muttered to Jamie, not wanting to worry the others.