Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Thunder clapped as rain poured down as I watched Jonah. He was running through the forest, gun raised, mud splattered across his face. His expression was concentrated, his bottom lip captured between his teeth. He wore his camouflaged trousers and jacket, and a helmet was on his head, clasped tightly beneath his chin.

He sprinted pass me, mud jumping up with every footstep, however he didn't notice me. It was like I was invisible. The rest of squad charged past me before Jonah's name could leave my mouth. I recognised Jamie's familiar blonde hair at the back of the squad. This time words seemed to form on my lips, "Jamie!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, a foreboding feeling over coming me.

He didn't respond. In the place of where his voice should have been was deafening silence. This wasn't right.

All of a sudden my ears were met by gunfire. It was louder than I had ever expected. It rattled my whole body causing my ears to ring. I clenched my hands over my ears trying to protect them as I hunched over - the noise too much.

As I became slightly more accustomed to the noise I lifted my head from my knees and looked around. Nothing. There was nothing for as far as I could see. The harsh forest continued for miles and miles. I turned my head to look in the direction Jonah and his squad had just run in. However, there was also nothing to be seen. There was no sign of the men who had just passed through; no footsteps, no noise, nothing.

I pulled my limp body up from the cold, wet floor. My whole body was shaking as fear flooded my body. This wasn't right.

Slowly, I put one foot in front of the other and started to walk in the direction the men had gone. I forced my pace to increase until I was sprinting. My breath came in short pants as I dodged the trees, leapt over logs and tripped in the thick grass. I needed to reach him.

Tears stained my red cheeks as the cold attacked my exposed skin. "Jonah!" I screamed as I approached the deafening gunfire. I should be running away from this. However, I knew Jonah needed my help. He needed me as much as I needed him.

I gasped for breath as they came into the view. They were lying on their stomachs, guns held up high as they shot into the fire that blazed just a few feet away from them. I couldn't see who or what they were firing at, the fire blocked my view. I recognised Jonah instantly.

"Jonah!" I screamed for the third time as I ran towards him, but I was stopped. My body was thrown back by some invisible force removing the oxygen from my lungs. I gasped for breath as I lay on my back, the world around me spinning. I clenched my hands into the dirt, pushing myself up from the floor. My view was distorted once I finally made it to my feet. I clutched my hands into my hair trying to concentrate. I willed my eyes to focus on Jonah again. As my eyes found his body I started sprinting again. However, as I reached the same spot before my body was once again thrown back, the wind knocked out of me again. I chocked on nothing, my whole body shaking. It seemed like there was an invisible wall, blocking me from Jonah, preventing me from reaching him.

"Jonah!" I screamed begging for him to hear me. I needed to hear him. I fell to the ground as he once again didn't hear me. Salty tears poured down my cheeks as the flames in front of me grew. They swirled around, like a hurricane, until they towered above us. I stumbled back, as my back hit a tree the flames changed again. They spun into black circles of smoke. A shadow rising from the middle caused me to catch my breath. However, no one else seemed to notice. Instead of retreating they carried on shooting.

"Run Jonah!" I screamed. Why couldn't he hear me? He needed to hear me. It was in this moment that I knew I was the only one who could save him. I was the only one who could see this figure engulfed in flames. I was the only one who could save both of them.