Chapter 19

Chapter 19

 PLEASE READ - you will be confused if you don't!

Basically for the last couple of chapters I got confused between Jonah's parents (Rob and Leah) and Amy's parents (Chris and Mary). So I have gone back through the last two chapters and changed Amy's parents names back to Chris and Mary and in this chapter Jonah's parents are back to Rob and Leah. Sorry if this has caused any confusion but hopefully this clears anything up :D

I gripped onto Jonah's hand as we drove to his parent's house. He was leaving in a couple of hours and it was all I could think about. My mind was filled with thoughts of him leaving and going back to war. He would be going back to the place my brother was taken from me.

I couldn't speak so we just sat in silence. He kept sneaking glances at me but I pretended not to notice. I didn't want to talk about this right now, I couldn't. I didn't want this to become real. I didn't want him to go.

I always thought Jonah leaving was bad but the pain I was feeling had tripled. The fear I felt had never been so strong because I knew how it felt for someone not to come back. Before, I had known the dangers. However, I never thought it would happen to me. I never truly believed they wouldn't come back. But now, now I had lost my brother I understood how quickly the one you love can be taken away from you. One second Jonah would be breathing and the next the oxygen would be sucked from his lungs and I he wouldn't be here anymore. Instead, he would be with Jamie and I couldn't cope with that again. I couldn't lose someone else.

I let go of Jonah's hand as I got out of the car but as soon as he joined me by the front door I took it back and laced our fingers together. I was scared he would just disappear, vanish into thin air, almost like Jamie had. Jonah slid his key into the lock and with a quick flick of his wrist the door swung open. He pulled me in and I couldn't help but smile when I saw his parents happily cooking in the kitchen.

As soon Leah saw Jonah her lips pulled into a smile. She rushed around from behind the counter and pulled Jonah into a hug, but somehow he still managed to grip onto my hand like he didn't want to let go of my hand as much as I didn't want him to let go. Once Leah had finally finished trying to choke him, his dad came over and hugged him briefly too.

While his dad hugged him Leah came over and pulled me into hug and this time my hand did slip from Jonah's. However, once she finished squeezing me to death she did something that not a lot of people did. She said, "Are you two ready to eat then?"

I stared at her, my mouth hanging open before I quickly composed myself. She didn't ask how either my mum or I was doing. She was the first person in a long time to just not ask and I was so thankful. Today was not about me or my mum, it was about Jonah and getting to spend the little time we had left with him. A grin formed on my face as I realised where Jonah must have learned what the appropriate thing to say was and when. I didn't want to talk of my mum right now and Leah mush have realised that.

"You know Amy is always hungry," Jonah said with a smirk before shooting a quick wink in my direction. I hit his arm playfully as I took the seat next to him. As soon as I sat down Jonah's ankle snaked round mine and a goofy grin formed on my face. I could imagine our future together. I saw the meals we would have with our parents. The easy way we would flirt together. I imagined the feeling of waking up every morning in his arms and going to sleep with him beside me every night. I would wait for him to spend the rest of my life with him. This was his job now but it wouldn't be his job forever. One day he wouldn't have to leave anymore.

"Wow, I can totally see why you fell for him Amy," Rob said sarcastically as he placed the last dish of food on the table.

"He told you we were together?" I asked faking shock. "Aw that's sweet but Jonah and I are just friends," I said smiling apologetically.