Chapter 20 - Spoke Too Soon

The relationship between Louis and I was definitely changing, but at least for right now it was for the better.

We still had our old friendship, where we could talk to each other and cry on each other’s shoulders and have a good laugh together. But now there was a different element to our connection: the kisses and cuddling. Louis wasn’t lying when he claimed to be addicted to my kiss; he took every chance we had to kiss me or hold me close. Not that I was complaining.

Now when they asked us in interviews if we were in love, I felt the rightness burn through my body as I replied that I loved Louis Tomlinson. Even if I couldn’t say it to his face, even if he thought it was an act for the cameras, I could still tell him. He just didn’t know how true my words really were. Everything in my responses was the absolute honest truth, from reasons why I loved him, to things he does that make me fall for him, to how I feel about our relationship. But I was the only one who knew that, except possibly Liam.

“Hazza,” I felt someone whisper close to my face, but I lazily kept my eyes shut and ignored him.

“Hazzabear. It’s time to wake up. You really want to get up before Niall eats everything again or Liam finds a harsh way to wake you, right? Get up, Haz.” So the annoying person disrupting my thoughts and sleep is Lou.

He pulled away from me and I felt my face tingle where he’d been touching it. Hopefully I didn’t blush; that’d give away that I was awake. I heard footsteps retreating down the hall and smiled happily at the fact he was letting me sleep. I’d have to thank him later.

A few minutes later I went still as the door opened again and someone entered my room. I heard whomever it was take a seat on the edge of my bed and adjust their position before random chords were played from a guitar. Why would Niall come in and practice on his guitar while I was sleeping?

Then I heard the melodic voice of an angel begin our old joke song.

So it’s time to get up

It’s time to get up

Yeah it’s time to get up

It’s time to get up

So get up get up get up get up-

I cut him off by throwing a pillow into his chest and muffling my ears with the other. “Ugh,” I groaned into the bed.

“Yay, it worked! Harry’s up, guys!” He shouted out the still open door.

“So I can put the ice and water back now?” Liam’s voice sounded.

“And the can of precious whipped cream?” Niall added.

It was quiet for a few seconds except for faint mumbling in the hall. There was a sudden shriek. “Niall, that’s my hairspray, not whipped cream! GIVE IT BACK!” Zayn bellowed, and the crash and bang of a chase began. I chuckled and Louis just grinned.

“I was going to tell them to put the stuff away, but I guess Li’s got it covered,” he smirked. We could still hear vague shouts about using up valuable hairspray and delicious whipped cream coming from downstairs.

Wait… wasn’t I supposed to be mad at Louis for waking me? As I remembered this, I dug my face back into the pillow and crunched my body up as if shielding myself. I could practically feel his frowning stare on my back.

“What’s wrong, Hazzabear?” he asked gently and it took all my willpower not to turn back over.

I grumbled, “You woke me up too early. I thought you were being smart and leaving me alone, but you just had to ruin it. I spoke too soon.” He chuckled and I felt the bed dip under his weight as he lay down beside me.

“Aw, I’m sorry Harry. Liam was going to get a horn and blow it in your ear and Niall was going to just eat all your food, so I thought you’d thank me for getting you up before that could happen,” he tried to explain himself.

“Then what were they saying about iced water and whipped cream?” I flipped over now, raising an eyebrow at him.

He smiled, seeing my expression and realizing I wasn’t that angry and actually quite amused by the situation. “I made back-up plans in case this one didn’t work. See? I put hard work into this wake up plan!” He proudly stated. I just glared at him until he got the message.

I moved my body closer to his and he wrapped his arms around me. Sighing comfortably, I nuzzled my face into his neck. I never wanted to leave this place right now, where I finally felt peaceful and was in the arms of a perfect being that I loved dearly. But everything good comes to an end.

Liam burst in to tell me that Niall was getting antsy downstairs and kept staring at my plate of food. I decided to be nice for today and let the hungry leprechaun have it, since I didn’t want to get up anyway. A minute later Liam was back and asking to talk to me. I sighed, no getting out of it this time. Throwing an unhappy glance back at Louis who was sprawled on top of my bed, I went to Liam’s room and he closed the door behind us.

“You have to tell him, Harry,” he cut right to the point.

I sighed. I seemed to be doing a lot of that this morning. “I already told you I can’t, Li. It will ruin whatever we have between us already, and if you haven’t noticed, it’s pretty darn good.”

“That’s what I’m talking about!” he exclaimed, “wasn’t it him who admitted to wanting to kiss you? Him who initiated the first kiss on an interview? Him who isn’t running disgusted and in fact seems to be glowing and floating on clouds, like you?”

“That’s not true! Okay, maybe it is. You’re right; I haven’t done much for him…” I trail off, suddenly feeling quite guilty. Liam makes a sound of frustration.

“No, don’t you see, Harry? Louis likes you too! I even think he might love you!” No, Liam was wrong. Louis didn’t want me. I was just his brother, his friend with benefits for when he was lonely.

Not that my heart wanted it that way. My head was screaming at me that this was a bad idea, to let myself hope and give in to the feeling that I might succeed and actually be able to call Louis mine. But my heart was saying I may never get another chance and I needed to go for it before it was too late. What could I do? Should I listen to my head or my heart? Which one was right?

I vaguely felt my body collapsing to the floor, my head in my hands. I couldn’t think straight. What if Liam was right? What if Louis did want me in the way I wanted him, and he wasn’t doing anything either because he was scared like me? Or because I never showed as much affection as him so he didn’t have a clue if I returned his feelings? How could I find this out without telling him the truth about my sexuality and my love for him? My head was seriously starting to throb with all the questions flying through it.

Snapping back to reality, I opened my eyes. I was crunched up on the floor of Liam’s room with my head cradled in my hands and dampness in the corners of my eyes. I saw Liam crouched over me with worry in his soft brown eyes.

“Are you all right, Harry?” he asked with concern.

“Just fine, Liam. You just got me thinking is all. You know, I meant everything I’ve said. In all those interviews and everything to him. He just doesn’t know it.” I think out loud. He nods his head at me pityingly.

“He loves you too, Harry.” Liam wasn’t wrong when he said that I was in love with Louis. He hadn’t ever been wrong before. Maybe I should just trust him and go with it? I picked my head up, releasing my tense body from the ball I was in. Liam grabbed my hand and pulled me back to my feet.

“I think you’re right, Li I have to tell him. I’ll never know if I don’t, and I don’t think I could handle seeing him with someone else. I can just hope you’re right when you say that,” he looks proud of me as I lift my chin with newfound confidence.

“So when are you going to do it?” he asks.

“When the time is right.” With that, I wipe under my eyes and leave his room.