Chapter 23 - What I Had To Do

I woke up the next morning in a much better mood. My head was no longer throbbing and there was no tension in my shoulders. Yawning, I rolled halfway on top of Louis and cuddled into him.

He was still asleep. It was strangely soothing, listening to the sounds of his sleep. His happiness always made me happy, and I could tell he was having a good dream. I smiled, brushing my thumbs gently over his cheeks. He was so beautiful lying there, with no shield up to protect his emotions and no worries shown through his body language. I wished I could keep him so carefree forever, but I knew it would change as soon as he woke. He may be a bit on the crazy side, but Louis was definitely not Niall.

Lou’s chest rose more than the other times, and I glanced up to see him yawning. As I had predicted, his muscles were already more tense than they had been just moments before. He looked down and smiled sleepily.

“Hey there.”

I chuckled back to him, “Hey yourself.”

His demeanor suddenly changed. It was like he’d shut down. What could my voice have triggered to make him so scared? I didn’t like seeing him like this.

“Boo, what’s wrong?” I ask, concerned.

He glances at me. “You, erm, didn’t happen to hear anything I said last night, did you?” The worry on his face grew.

Anything he said last night? I thought hard, trying to remember him saying something he could be nervous about. Was he talking about when he said he loves me? I tried to play it cool and act as if I’d been sleeping. Obviously, he didn’t want me to know.

“I fell asleep, Lou. I have no idea what you might’ve said to get you so down, but whatever it is, I’m sure it’s not that bad.” I wanted him to admit that he’d said he loves me.

“It was nothing. I just said something stupid that I shouldn’t have said.” I saw his relieved face and felt guilty.

“All right, if you say so Boo.”

He thought it was stupid. Maybe Liam was right, after all this? Maybe Louis loved me back and he didn’t want to ruin our relationship either? But then why wouldn’t he have confessed his love when he confessed he liked my kiss? I was confused.

I needed some time alone to think. “I’m just going to go take a shower. Make me tea for when I get out? Please?” I made puppy eyes at him and he chuckled, ruffling my hair. I frowned and returned the favor, making his hair look like a total mess.

“I have a better idea,” Louis said. I groaned; now was not the time for one of his strange jokes. I really needed to think and get away from him before he noticed how much I liked being wrapped up in his body.

“Why don’t I come with you?” I choked, my mouth dropping open. Did he really just say that? Was Louis asking… to take a shower with me? What was I supposed to do?

I noticed his body shaking with laughter and his mouth turning into a smirk. “I was just joking, Hazza. God, no need to panic.”

Shakily, I joined in his laughter. I had thought he wasn’t joking. It had sounded like he wasn’t joking. Maybe he’d meant it as something else and taken my reaction to mean I didn’t want him? I was so bad at reading romantic signals.

“Aw, too bad, I would’ve let you. Lost your chance,” I joined in his banter, and it was his turn to flush.

“Just go take your shower, Haz. I’ll have tea for you when you come down.” I grabbed a towel and change of clothes before shutting the bathroom door behind me.

I used my time in the shower to think. I thought about how he made me feel, and how I knew I felt for him. I thought about the things he did that made me believe he could feel the same way. I thought of our mind-blowing kisses and sweet cuddles. I thought of every word of Liam’s suggestions. By the time my shower was finished, I knew what I had to do.