7.

ANDERSON’S POV

  He came to a stop in front of the restaurant Hansen asked that they meet. Glancing round the parking lot, he spotted his brother’s blue Ferrari and was thankful that for once, he came early.

  Anderson turned off the engine and then headed inside. A waiter approached him and after he told him the person he was meeting, he led him to Hansen's table. His brother was drinking coffee and reading the newspaper when he sat down. He found it strange that he was reading the paper, because Hansen was not a fun of the morning news.

  “Hello brother.” He said, drawing his attention. “Why did you call me out here so early in the morning?”

 Hansen sighed and folded the paper, turning the front page downwards. He folded his hands on the table and then looked pensive. He opened his mouth to talk, but no words came out and he sighed.

 Anderson was starting to get pissed off, as his brother was silent and kept staring at him as if he just lost the lottery.

“What is it?” He asked. “Speak now before I walk out of here. I have to get home fast.”  

  The waiter arrived and then Anderson ordered coffee and some doughnuts to go. 

  “Anderson,” Hansen sighed and then continued his staring.

   Anderson groaned angrily then got up to leave, that was when Hansen blurted it out. “You are engaged to Kathleen!”

  He stopped and came back around, returning to his chair. “I am what?” He asked.

  “It happened last night at the party. She is back from her studies and will be joining her father at their company and the parents want you too to marry. Kathleen doesn’t seem to have a problem with it, but my concern is you.”  

 Anderson was surprised to hear that Kathleen was back. When did she return and hasn’t contacted him yet? Weren’t they friends?

  “Kathleen is back?”

  “Yes, she returned two night ago. But that’s not the problem.” Hansen sighed. “The question is do you want to marry her?”

  Anderson looked at his brother as if he just grew two heads. “Why would I want to refuse marriage with Kathleen?” He asked and then Hansen looked stunned.

 “Ander… Anderson…” Hansen stuttered, still shocked to hear his question. “You will marry her?” He gasped.

  Anderson shrugged and then added. “I see no reason why I will want to refuse it. Kathleen is my friend and we used to go way back. She knows my likes, dislikes, what I want and don’t want. It would be good marrying someone I know than a total stranger. After all you failed at finding me a bride.”

 “I found you a good bride, goddammit!” Hansen banged his hands on the table and rose to his feet, glaring at his brother. The people around glanced at him, but he didn’t seem to care one bit.

  “I found you a good bride.” He repeated each word through gritted teeth. “You just refused to see it.” With those words, he tossed the paper in front of him and then added. “I wish you all the best in your wedding.” Hansen stormed out of there.

 Anderson looked down at the newspaper. Written on the front page, in capital letters were the words: ONE OF THE HEIRS TO THE NILES MULTI-BILLION CHAIN OF COMPANIES, ANDERSON NILES IS ENGAGED TO THE BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER AND HEIR OF ALISTAIR CERAMICS COMPANY, KATHLEEN ALISTIAR.  

  Anger boiled inside him as he read the headline. He crumpled the paper inside his hand and tossed it away. He rose to his feet and went to the counter to take his order. Once he got it, he went out the door.