35.

Sydney did not leave her bed for days. She did not come out of her room. She did not eat much. All she did was cry her eyes out and when she had no more tears to cry, she stayed mute and refused to speak to anyone. Adeline has done everything in her power to get her daughter to move, all to no avail. She tried to make her see that she did not make a mistake. She tried to convince her that she would survive this. However, Sydney was not listening to a word she says.

It was yet another morning, one week after the failed wedding to be precise; Adeline was going into Sydney’s room with a tray of food. She had decided that today, she would make that stubborn child eat some food whether she likes it or not. Walking into the room, she was not surprised when she saw the pillows lying on the floor, the sheets scattered over the bed and Sydney curled in the form of a ball with her wedding gown tightly clenched to her chest. Sighing, she went to place the tray at the edge of the bed.

“Sydney,” Adeline picked the pillows from the floor. “For once I wish you could stop messing up your room when I clean it.” She said. Placing the pillows against the headboard, she added. “I brought you breakfast. Get up and eat.”

Sydney did not move. She continued to hug the dress and look out into space without uttering a word. She seemed to be distracted, as if she were in a world of her own. Adeline heaved a sigh. She hated the silent treatment Sydney was giving her and she hated it more when she pretended as if she was deaf, as if no one was talking. Taking a deep breath, she calmed herself and tried again.

“Sydney,” she sat on the bed, moving locks of black luscious hair away from Sydney’s face. Looking at her child’s face, she saw her puffy eyes and red nose. She looked helpless, like she was drowning. Indeed, she was drowning. Drowning in pain and misery. “Sydney, please get up and eat something.”

“I am not hungry.” She replied, moving her head away from her mother’s touch.

“That’s what you said last night.” Adeline sighed. “Please eat something.”

“I am not hungry.” She repeated, turning her back to Adeline, the wedding gown still clasped to her chest.

Groaning in frustration, Adeline rose to her feet. “This is not healthy. You have to eat.” She said, reaching for Sydney’s elbow. “Come on, get up.” She gently dragged her towards the edge of the bed.

“Let me be!” Sydney was irritated. “I said am not hungry!” She glared at her mother while yanking her arm from her grasp. “Take the food away.” She added, moving back to her previous position when Adeline took her arm again.

“I am not going to watch you die! Do you hear me?” She raged, reaching the wedding gown with her other hand and pulling from Sydney’s grasp.   

“Mother, give that back!” Sydney yelled.

“No.” Adeline left her daughter’s arm and moved away from the bed, the wedding gown mobbing on the floor.

A look of panic crossed Sydney’s face and she quickly scrambled out of bed. “Mother!” She gasped, following her mother to repossess her dress. However, Adeline run across the room, then climbed the bed and descended at the other end. Now fuming a Sydney was on the left side of the bed, while she stood at the right.

Lifting the dress up, she asked in an angry tone. “So this dress is more important to you than your own health? You are willing to starve yourself just so you can stay in bed with this thing! Uh… that is it. I have had enough of it! This…” She raised the dress. “I am getting rid of it.”

“No!” Sydney gasped, a look of horror crossing her puffy face. She could not let her mother destroy her dress. No, she would not. That dress meant a lot to her. It gave her many memories, both good and bad. However, the good memories were what she was fighting to preserve. She wanted them to stay with her and holding it in her arms brought back all those memories. She recalled the memory of the day Anderson first saw her in it at the bridal store. His eyes had been the softest she had ever seen. He had stared as if she were the most precious thing on earth, as if he would do anything for her, as if her happiness was all he wanted. That day, he had looked the happiest she had ever seen him and she wanted to preserve that memory. She wanted to memorize it, to nurture it and not forget it. She wanted to keep it in her mind and forget of the sad look she saw in his eyes that night she broke up with him. She really wanted to forget the look of horror, shock, disappointment and hurt, she saw in his eyes. Because, remembering it brought tears to her eyes and she would rather remember him with a smile than tears.