20.

TWENTY – MAKING IT WORK

"What is going on here?" Hansen gasped when he moved downstairs the next morning and found Sydney's suitcases standing in the living room.

He looked round the empty room and then advanced into the kitchen. There, he saw her flipping pancakes in the frying pan. He went over to her and asked. "What's with the suitcases? Where are you going?"

Sydney took the pan off the stove and offloaded the pancakes into a plate. After putting the frying pan in the sink, she grabbed the pot of coffee off the coffee maker and went to place it on the dining table.

"I am leaving." She replied while pulling a chair out. "Come and sit down." She said, glancing at Hansen whose jaw was on the floor.

Firstly, he was surprised that she was being nice to him after ignoring him all week. What changed? Had his begging finally worked? Has she decided to forgive him? The thing, which surprised him more, was that she was leaving.

"What?" He asked, refusing to sit. "Sydney, I get that you are upset with me for not telling you the truth but should you just pack up and leave? What about Anderson, he needs you?" He said, searching her face.

"I know. That's why I am moving in with him." Her reply stunned him even more. If the chair had not been standing nearby, he was sure he would have collapsed to the floor out of joy. A big smile made its way onto his face and he asked.

"Really?" She nodded, while sitting on the chair next to his.

Last night she barely slept after the day she had. Memories of her trip to Disney studios and the guest appearance she made in the blockbuster movie did not leave her mind. She was happy, remembering how the director had been impressed with her acting skills.

Her trip, however, was not the only thing that gave her insomnia. Her mother's condition, coupled with the pressure to take her to a rehab center, Mary's tempting offer and Anderson's words were additional factors. She tossed and turned in bed feeling as if she committed a huge crime. The one question that rang in her mind all night long was what was she doing for Anderson? Then she got the best idea, ever.

"So, will you take me?" She asked Hansen who asked.

"Now?"

"Yes." He bolted out of the chair and rushed out of the kitchen. He ran up the stairs, taking two at a time.

Sydney smiled and folded her arms on the table. Her idea was one she spent all night scribbling on a paper. Hopefully Anderson would agree to it. She did not even want to think about the possibility that he might refuse it. If he wants his inheritance, he must agree with her plan.

She and Hansen were on the road in less than fifteen minutes. "You are really moving in with your fiancé huh?" He asked.

"We have to look like a real couple." She replied and he nodded, keeping his eyes on the road.

"It sounds like a good idea, but my brother has never lived with a woman before. Oh well, except our mother of course. He might not agree to it."

"Then, I will make him agree to it." She replied confidently with a smile.

Hansen glanced at her and then returned his gaze to the road ahead. A smirk made its way onto his face as he imagined his brother's facial expression when he sees Sydney's things. With that thought, he stepped on the gas pedal and drove as fast as he could.

Thankfully, they did not run into the police and got to Anderson's place within fifteen minutes. Hansen gladly helped Sydney carry her bags to the front door. He waited in anticipation while she pressed the doorbell. They listened as it resonated through the house.