32 - II

“Mother,” Hansen came rushing to her when she entered Anderson’s room. He quickly threw his arms around her in an embrace. Mary put her hand on his nape and patted his back gently. “Anderson is not well.” He said, pulling away to look into her face.

Mary’s heart sank when she saw the tears in his eyes. She did not like seeing him in tears because it made her want to cry too. “Hansen, don’t worry.” She said. “It’s only a fever and the doctor says it is nothing serious.” She tried to console him. “Come here. Let me give you a hug.” She held out her arms, but he did not step into them.

 “I don’t think I should be the one you should console.” He pointed to Anderson who was sleeping on the hospital bed, hooked up to machines. “Your son is in pain right now. You should be with him.” His words tugged at her heartstrings and brought tears to her eyes. She bit down on her lip to stop her from screaming that she did not care about Anderson, that he was all that mattered to her. Her real son was hurting and she could not even hold him in her arms.

“Yes,” she gasped, a tear running down her cheek. “You are right.” She choked out the words and turned away from Hansen. Each step she took towards the bed was difficult because she really did not want to see him. When she pulled out a chair and sat down, she glanced at Hansen and found him staring. Slowly, she tore her gaze away from him and reached out her hand, touching Anderson’s forehead with it. His head shifted away from her and her hand landed on the pillow with a soft thud. A frowned creased her forehead. Even in his sleep, he still was being rude to her.

“I will leave you alone now.” Hansen said.

Mary’s gaze moved to him again, and she asked. “Where are you going?”

His jaw tightened, as he replied with a frown, “To find Sydney.”

Mary bolted out of the chair in alarm. “What?” She gasped, fear gripping her. “Why are you going to look for that woman?”

“I don’t have time to explain.” He left the room before she could object to it.

 Mary quickly rushed out after him, catching up with him before he turned into the next corridor. “Hansen, you are going nowhere.” She said, sternly.

He stopped abruptly, turning around to face her. “And why not?” He asked, folding his arms. “Tell me why I should not go and look for that woman.” He demanded.

Mary knew why he should not go looking for Sydney. She knew why he should not go, because she was afraid… afraid that Sydney would reveal everything to him. That woman was just as sly as her mother was. They knew when to use information to get what they want and if she wants to ruin her family, she could choose to reveal everything to Hansen. It would be a disaster if he found out that he really was not adopted, because she switched him with Anderson, and she was his real mother.

Mary fears he would hate her that is why she had not yet revealed the truth to him. She wants to tell him the truth, but it was very difficult. She did not know how she would start, or how he would react when she told him she did everything for his sake. How would he take it when she told him she was thinking about his future when she exchanged him with someone else’s baby? She doubts he would be happy to learn that she did everything so he would be the heir to a billion-dollar company left by Anderson’s real mother, because he loved his brother a lot.

“It doesn’t matter what you say. I am still going to look for her and I will demand an explanation from her!” Hansen’s words brought her out of her thoughts and she reached for his hand.

“Hansen, don’t!” She gasped. Trying so desperately to make him stay, she said the first thing that came to her mind. “Who will look after your brother when you are gone?”