36.

Sydney could not believe her mother was actually going to reveal the truth. She was scared, afraid, worried and most importantly, a little relieved. The truth was finally coming out. She could not help but wonder how Anderson would feel about it. How would he react? Would he be infuriated? Of course, he would! She would feel the same if she were in his shoes. Heck, she would throw the accomplices in jail without a second thought, if it were she. But would he do it? Would he throw Adeline and Mary into prison? Sydney was worried about her mother. Prison was not a nice place to be. She knew this because she has seen movies. Adeline would not survive it. Oh, how she wishes she could ask he mother not to tell him the truth. However, she could not, because she wants him back. Was it selfish of her not to stop her mother from revealing the truth because she wants him back? Was she?

Sighing, Sydney rolled on her back and stared at the ceiling above her. This was a difficult time in her life. She had reached a point where she was stuck, without knowing whom to choose. Family or love? She remembers some time ago, when she thought family was most important. She had picked her family over money. However, now it was not money, but something very precious. It was a feeling that was embedded so deep in her chest that she could not let it go. It was something she felt so strongly that she had stayed in bed for days crying her eyes out because she so stupidly threw it away. Was her family… no, her mother more important now than her love? She knew the answer all too well, but could not bring herself to admit it.

A knock on her door, snapped her out of her reverie. Without moving, she said. “Come in.” The door creaked open and Adeline walked in.

“Sydney,” there was urgency in her voice when she called to her. Quickly Sydney sat up and looked at her mother, who had a telephone in her hand. Her mind suddenly raced with many questions. Did she call Anderson? Has she told him the truth? How did he react? Oh no, were the police on their way? Before she could voice any of her thoughts out, Adeline spoke. “I just got off the phone. It was the police.” Sydney’s heart leaped into her throat. “Caleb has just been arrested.”

A sigh escaped her lips, as she felt relieved. Good thing it was not her mother. However, worry suddenly coated her features when her mother’s words rang in her mind. Caleb was arrested! “What?”

“He was arrested with some other boys, for cocaine possession.” Sydney gasped, throwing a hand over her mouth. Things had just gone from bad to worse. Uh, what a brother she had! Why did he not turn out to be like other big brothers… loving, caring and responsible? “It is my entire fault.” She heard her mother say, before she saw guilt consume her. “It is.” Adeline’s eyes stung with tears. “I introduced him to this. I made him what he is. He was supposed to go to college, but he did not because of me. I destroyed his life.”

Sydney would have loved to hold her mother and tell her that it not true. She would have loved to say that Caleb brought this upon himself. However, she knew it was not the truth. Indeed, Adeline brought this upon him. Caleb had not always been an addict. No, he used to be a good boy. In fact, he was a very good student, who had a bright future ahead of him. Sydney used to see him as her role model, because he aced his papers and graduated high school as the valedictorian. He even got a scholarship to study abroad. Unfortunately, not all went as planned. Caleb got into bad company and got influenced. His mother, who was supposed to advise him to stop his bad habit, only influenced him to do more. Before Sydney knew it, he was in so deep it was difficult for him to stop. He lost his scholarship and stayed at home getting high with his mother. Sydney had planned for him to go to rehab as well, with the help of Anderson, but he had run away. Now look where he has ended up, in the grips of the police.       

“Mother, you are not just realizing that now are you?” Sydney asked Adeline.

“I destroyed both your lives.” Adeline wiped her tears on her sleeve.