18.

EIGHTEEN – TALKING WITH THE PARENTS

   The rain started with full force all at once without any signal whatsoever, beating against the living room's glass window. The chilly night suddenly turned cold and the deafening silence in the room made it even worse.

  Goosebumps rose all over Sydney's arms. However, she did not feel it as her mind was far away. Her eyes locked on the dull and dark fireplace before her. By her side, was Anderson, who sat with fingers entwined. His back was straight against the leather sofa and eyes stared at the water droplets beating the glass.

   Sydney drew in a long breath and finally looked away from the fireplace. Her gaze landed on her laps and she pressed her hands together. Anderson heard her shaky breath and quickly moved to unbutton his jacket.

   "Here." He said, holding out the jacket for her.

   "Why did you lie to me?" She questioned, returning her gaze to the fireplace.

   "Accept my apologies." He replied and threw his jacket over her shoulders.

   "You could have told me." She said.

   "I know."

   Nodding, Sydney drew in a long breathe. "Then I guess we are even now." She glanced at him over her shoulder. "I am using you to get recognised and you are using me to get your inheritance."

  "Yes. I guess we are both ambitious." His gaze met hers for a split second before he looked away again.

  "Yes." She chuckled, agreeing with him.

  With eyes fixed to the window, he said. "Please do not cry over what my mother said. Besides, it is not a bad thing to be ambitious. One will not get what they want in life if they lack ambition. It's good to know that you have it."

  Anderson glanced at her and she got her eyes on her entwined fingers. He noticed how pale they became and quickly rose to his feet. Moving to the fireplace, he lit it up. The flames flickered to life and a red glow cast on them. Sydney watched in fascination, as the flames danced on the stones.  

     "Excuse me. I will be back."  Anderson said before walking out of the room.

    Sydney quickly slipped her hands inside the jacket and rubbed her arms to get warmth into them. She let out a shaky breath and grumbled to herself about how wearing a strapless dress had been a total fail. She picked it because she had wanted to impress her fiancé's parents.

    And what a first impression it had been!

 Anderson's mother already hated her from past meetings, so her attack on her tonight was not too much of a surprise, although her words were hurtful. Sydney was however, fine now. The one person she had wanted to leave an impression on was Mr Niles. She spent all day smiling at the mirror to get the perfect smile. She was sure that her charms were working until when Anderson's mother ruined everything. Now, he might probably be thinking the worst of her.  

    Sighing, she threw her head back against the headrest and gazed up at the ceiling. A pair of sunken eyes matched to pale white skin suddenly appeared above her. Sydney's eyes pop out of their sockets as a loud and piercing scream erupted from her throat. She rushed out of the sofa in fear that the ghost would grab, only to realise that what she thought was a ghost, was actually Mr Niles.

   "Accept my apologies for startling you." He spoke in his low and throaty voice.

  Sydney managed to shake her head and tried to control her other trembling body parts. Her heart pounded in her chest and Goosebumps rose all over her body. The sight of Mr Niles was terrifying under the orange glow of the fireplace. He looked thinner and sicker while leaning most of his weight on his walking stick.