Chapter Five: On Our Own

Hey everyone! Make sure to read tell the end for an update and stuff! Hope you enjoy the chapter!

<<<>>><<<>>><<<

"Hello?!" I said banging on the door of the shed. The person inside must be traumatized. "Open the door! They're gone I swear!"

A shaky voice came from the other side. "A-Are you sure?" She said.

"Well... there's some on the other side of the fence but we should be fine as long as we don't make to much noise..." I head some shuffling from inside but she still didn't take away whatever was blocking the door.

"Are you bitten?" I had a feeling this question was coming. I came really close to getting bitten but the worst injury I got from that small fight was a scratch.

"No," I replied. The movement continued and then there was a silent click.

"Come in," She said.

Cautiously, I opened the shed door. In front of me was a very... small girl? She looked pretty mature, I'm gonna assume she's a year younger than I am.

She had completely black hair that was very short, about chin length. She had crystal blue eyes and  a deep cut on her face. The white shirt she was wearing had a couple blood stains on it but it was nothing too serious.

That's when my eyes traveled to what she was holding. She was pointing a very sharp axe at me and her breathing was heavy. Was she nervous? Well... I guess I can't really blame her.

"Who are you?" She asked. I put my hands up, I had no more weapons to defend myself with...

"I-I'm Oliver, who are you?" She lowered the axe but didn't loosen her grip on it.

"I see... I'm Hyuna but you can just call me Hyun," I stared at her, a blank expression on my face. She rolled her eyes jokingly and held out her hand. I shook it without hesitation.

If I had a little sister I bet she would be just like this girl. When she wasn't crying her eyes out she seemed pretty... interesting. Even though I have never seen this girl in my life it feels like we have a connection somehow.

"Hope you don't mind if I tag along with you," she said. "I'm an orphan so I don't really have any friends or a group I can stay with..." her face turned red for a couple of seconds.

"I'm alone too, I had a group but we were attacked and I couldn't stay there." She smiled and gently tucked her hair behind her ear.

"Well then we should get moving! We don't know how long that fence can hold those things back and we have to get as far away as possible before nightfall!" I nodded in agreement. Hyun was right, we couldn't risk staying here any longer than we had too. That fence was very damaged and getting weaker by the minute.

"Where do you think we should go?" I asked a little more urgently now. Hyun put a finger on her chin as if pondering this question really hard.

A few seconds later she looked up at me. Her eyes seemed to sparkle, it was a little cute...

"I know where we should go!" She said jumping up and down slightly, the axe swinging freely by her side. "If we keep following the road eventually we should hit a fork in it! If we turn... left! I think, we should come across a very small, very home like police station."

"What if there is nobody there?" Hyun sighed.

"Well I can't say there will be help there but if we dig around we might be able to find some weapons and maybe even food that will come in handy later!"

The more she talked the better this idea began to sound. It wouldn't really fix our shelter problem but then again... we tried to settle down last time and that landed half of our group dead. I simply gave a little nod and we proceeded to walk out of the shed.

<<<>>><<<>>><<<

My whole body froze in shock and Hyun screamed. I knew it! The fence had broken down and the sight was not pleasant. There were thousands... maybe even millions! Of those things walking towards us.

It was a huge blob of mumbles and groans, each person looked different from the rest, the only thing they have in common is the massive amount of burns on there arms. They looked like they had been swimming in a pool of acid.

"Run!" Yelled Hyun. Immediately we both turned around and began running down the road.

This situation reminded me of when the apocalypse had first started and me and Lina had seen that one walker in the streets except this time it was a million times worse.

As we ran, the road felt endless beneath my feet. No matter how fast we ran though... they always seemed to be right behind us. An angry mob ready to attack at any moment.

That's when we finally hit the fork in the road that Hyun was talking about. It took her a minute to process which way she had said before finally turning right.

We were running on nothing but dirt road now. "It's not much farther!" She said. I was beginning to doubt whether or not she knew what she was doing but I went along with it anyway.

Eventually I began to spot something in the distance. I think that's what Hyun was talking about. It was a police station but the smallest one that I've ever seen.

I looked behind me, we had managed to lose them a little bit. There were definitely not as many as before but we didn't lose enough of them.

"We need to put this place on lockdown!" She said when we finally arrived at the station.

"Shouldn't we see if there are people here?" She frowned.

"We don't have time! We have to find the control panel, I think I remember it being somewhere over... here!" She said pointing at a small booth in the corner.

I ran over to it, then stepped back in horror. There was a man in there but... he wasn't breathing... I took a couple of deep breaths and turned to Hyun.

She came over to me and jumped at the control panel pushing the body away carelessly. As she searched for the right button I studied the body.

There was something different about this person... he didn't seem to be burned or bitten...

Hyun must have finally found the right button because a giant medal wall fell down protecting the windows and the door. She let out a sigh of relief.

I slowly turned the body over and fell back in shock. "Hyun! Come over here for a second!" I ushered for her to come and look at this.

This man was shot in the head... it left one very clean bullet hole right in the center of his forehead. There could be many explanations for this but I think me and Hyun both knew the answer.

A zombie cannot hold a gun which only left one option... there were more people here before us and they didn't seem to be friendly...

<<<>>><<<>>><<<

Hi guys!

I hope you enjoyed the chapter! I've been thinking of starting another book which means I'll have to change some stuff but I'm super exited. I've already kind of planned what the plot is going to be about but I just need a little more time! It's coming very, very, very soon though!

Also I joined an amino! Make sure if you have Amino to go follow me on WATTPAD Amino
@ Astral Plane_ . I'm gonna try to give more updates about my books there and that's also where you guys can suggest some books for me to read as well. I'll read anything so don't be shy!

Anyways that's all for today! I'll try to get another chapter out tomorrow but like always I can't promise anything... hope to see some of you guys then! 

-Astral Plane_