⊰3⊱

💫

My heart is racing, pounding loudly in my ears. I know I'm dreaming, the sound of my alarm clock ready to go off at any moment-

"Do you remember why it's important to keep your emotions under control?" A woman, familiar, yet not, questions me. I know it's a haze, but I'm sitting in that library again. I'm reading the books set before me, the air around me pulsating with life.

Shaking my head, I never get an answer.

Her long blonde hair falls over the front of her shoulders. White irises stare into mine, ones that hold authority and command power.

Eyes of a goddess.

"Dot? Dot?"

My skin races like wildfire, stirring from my sleep. I squint my eyelids tight together, wanting to hold onto the dream, to understand why this woman haunts my dreamworld.

Edith's finger pokes my nose as she asks again, "Dot?"

A groan leaves my lips, rolling to my side and swinging my hand out to turn the alarm off on my clock the second it starts screeching. When I manage to pry my eyelids open, Edith is sitting on her knees and grinning at me from ear to ear.

"Edith?" I ask, watching her bounce back off the bed while giggling as she hits the floor.

"Who's the goddess?" Edith giggles when I lift off the edge of my bed, heading toward the bathroom we both share. She's tagging along after me, looking up at me with wonder while I brush my teeth. Edith crosses her arms in front of her chest over her wolf print pajamas, asking again, "Who? Who?"

Rolling my eyes, I turn to her and state, "You sound like an owl."

"WHO?" Edith makes her eyes wide, causing me to double over laughing.

"I don't really know," I shrug my shoulders, centering my attention back to getting ready for school. Before I head back into my bedroom, ready to close the door and change, Edith stares up at me with questions still brimming in her eyes. Shaking my head, I tell her, "Dreams are funny that way."

Edith retorts, "Nu-uh! You told me they are...and I quote...'distorted awareness of our constant state of reality, though it manifests through our subconscious thoughts when we sleep.' End quote!"

"Oh, Edith," I slowly close the door to my room before telling her, "if that were true, then I'd have met this woman."

"Lies!" Edith calls through the door, banging on it once.

I wish I could tell her more or show her my understanding behind my thought process...but it isn't healthy. After all, I'm the one who's sick, and I'm sure it's hard enough on mom as it is without me adding fuel to the fire.

With that thought in mind, I hurry myself to get ready. I'm in jeans and a light blue shirt, my shoes pounding the pavement as I walk the distance toward Acadia High School. I must admit, my thoughts are clearer, and my mind isn't jumping around and losing track of time, going through the motions as if I'm experiencing every moment of it instead of an afterthought.

I manage to get through the first half of the day without any incident. As today is alternating scheduled days, English is before my free period, right before my lunch. When I walk into the classroom, I receive a friendly greeting from Mr. Callender as he says, "Afternoon, Ms. Rosewood."

I don't know if I'm just paying closer attention today, but I swear the way he says my last name...it's like a joke, or...I don't know. I can't even describe it, because the second I start focusing too hard on it, I'm sitting at my desk with Lonny answering Mr. Callender's question, "Page forty."