⊰16⊱

💫

I cannot shift, so I will need to remain of skin for this period of time.

After Wyn had left to head down to the ruin stones, I'd followed him shortly of Aohdan's personal male slaves' room. I'd been quick, taking to Grandpa's room as slipping past those who are solely focused on the winter solstice festivities take to the windows from high above from the safety of inside the estate walls.

With my gear on, my weapons sheathed and standing at the edge of his window, I'm not able to see the ruins from here. Glancing around, I look to the full moon, feeling at deeper pull to it when the glass window pane is no longer between us. The refracting light of the hundreds of crystal snowflakes capturing the moonlight casts a glow across the grounds. Deeply rooted in my being, my wolf feeling almost a serenade of a beautiful song, a draw to the light itself...

...I can see why the wolves are lured...even if they refuse to participate in The Hunt.

The vampire side of me keeps all of my empathy, my feelings in check as I refuse the call. It's easier for me...

...for Dante to be able to stand on those ruins now among the vampires of the council, I understand how he and later Rose, were not affected.

On the other hand...

Breathing out slowly, I allow myself to fall the distance to the grass. The second I make contact with the ground, I bolt to the treeline, moving faster as I drop my glamour and allow my senses to return in an enhancer element. Moving through the forest and wrapping closer around to areas I know will be touched by the selections first, I listen, hearing many different sounds in the distance.

Though Grandpa has asked that I help Rose...

...that doesn't mean I can't help others also.

I halt myself in my tracks, stopping next to a tree trunk and sighing.

Do I tempt fate and stop Blaire from killing the selections?

Allowing them to decide their own fate with the werewolves instead of one that's sealed by her?

Touching the bark of the tree, I glance up through the leaves, the moonlight streaming through the tops.

Do I take Blaire's life?

If Grandpa Keir really did find Grandma Laura...will they even be present or this close to the selections? Will he intervene and kill her before she corners Rose?

My forehead rests against the bark, my eyelids fluttering shut as I replay all the scenarios and the possible outcomes of what I should and shouldn't touch. I fear in me making a choice, it'll be the wrong one...

"Please guide me..." my voice is soft, carrying on a light breeze as it also picks up the strands of my hair off my shoulders.

A low warning growl sounds from behind me as I whirl around the moment I sense its presence and pick up its scent, the wind carrying it to me. I immediately narrow my eyes on the wolf, watching as it pads a few steps closer, testing me. A dark growl comes from the back of my throat as I stance aggressively, understanding that this is the era we're in, that the only territory...

...it belongs to the vampires.

In this era, every wolf is technically a rogue to its land, established territories having diminished many years ago and won't be formed for at least one more.

Its eyes lock with mine, halting its movement as it realizes what I am. I firmly state, "I'm in no quarrel with you or those who are drawn to this location."