⊰31⊱

💫

Steam rises from the mug of hot chocolate I hold, sitting on a patio chair with the sun barely over the trees. It's the first time that I feel completely at ease and relaxed, breathing in as a gentle breeze whisks across the grounds, the blades of grass billowing in its wake. Wearing jeans and a thin, light black hoodie, my legs are up against my chest, resting the base of the mug on one knee.

His presence is will announced before his footfalls are easily heard, gazing out to the tree line that borders the estate grounds while Grandpa walks closer to where I sit. Grandpa pulls up a chair next to me and asks, "Have you eaten yet?"

I blow on the hot chocolate and reply, "Not yet," I glance at him and ask, "how is everyone adjusting?"

"Well, actually," Grandpa nods, a soft smile forming on his lips as he says, "Cypher's a good kid," he shakes his head and sighs, "I owe you for what you did. The decisions you make are calculated and above all, you see more than just the surface."

The corners of my lips curl up into a smile as I reply, "I'm learning, just as you are, to not hold onto the past," I stop myself and chuckle, "well....the future, but you know what I mean."

Grandpa nods, "To not begrudge the actions taken in another timeline-"

"-if none of you are strong enough, or you falter to kill Mercury," I cut him short, glancing at him out of the corner of my eye, "I will end his existence in a heartbeat."

Grandpa remains silent, offering me a slight nod after a few moments pass as he replies, "That one is too far gone. Regardless of Delaney raising him on her own, he will forever be affected by Taft's inevitable death."

I glance back to the trees, the wind picking up slightly. At least we can agree on something, the tension between us dying.

Taking a sip, Grandpa casually says, "I'm happy for you," yet I nearly choke on the hot chocolate when he follows up with, "his scent is all over you."

"I-" though I continue to cough, pulling my knees away from my chest and setting the mug on the small table next to me.

Grandpa chuckles and shakes his head, "Dot, I understand," my eyes meet with him as I manage to breathe normally, my heart rate accelerating, "just promise me..."

"I'm not having any more children in this era," I shake my head, getting at what he's saying. At least, Tresor is the one that ensured our stupidity was corrected. Grandpa doesn't need to know the extent...

"Considering you were safe last time, and accidents happen," Grandpa continues and I part my lips to speak, though he expresses his concerns first, "with Tresor being what he is, I just don't want you to get hurt, or any unnecessary heartbreak."

I pull my lips into a tight line and nod, "Thank you. I trust him."

"That's enough for me," Grandpa nods, his gaze flickering to the patio doors as they slowly slide open.

My heart skips a beat, Uncle Kev taking a few steps out onto the patio as he says, "Rose needs you to get pizza," as he says this, he holds a small bundle in his arms, rocking it gently in his arms.

"I should have remembered..." Grandpa murmurs, a distant memory returning. Lifting his gaze, he rises to his feet and replies, "Thanks, I'll talk to her before I head out." He reaches out and grasps my shoulder, squeezing it gently while saying, "Be good."

"Always am," I roll my eyes, my gaze traveling from Uncle Kev and then returning to the tree line as my heart beats fast.

Grandpa moves past Uncle Kev, but I can feel my uncle draw closer, stopping when he's near the chair Grandpa had occupied. His voice is gentle as he asks, "Would you like to..." his voice trails off as my gaze remains distant, my arms crossed just beneath my breasts. He takes a step forward and then stops when my muscles tense.