30: An Escape Route Of Old Routines

"Stop asking me, for fuck's sake, Frank." Pete rolled his eyes as he quickened his pace in order to get in front of me on the path, leaving me to hastily struggle to catch up; something he most likely took more entertainment from than actual achievement, considering the pathetic demeanour of the matter.

"Dude, it's just-" I began, grabbing Pete by the arm in order to prevent him from storming off. Man, I mean I know I was annoying, but I had questions that just needed answers, and Pete was the only one in the position to even consider giving them to me. It wasn't as if I was going to go up to Skully and question him regarding his intent and submission on that particular day - that was just plain stupid, and really nothing short of a death wish.

"'Highly suspicious', yeah that's what you've went with for, I don't know, the last twenty times you've asked me, and Frank, I honestly just don't know why Skully listened to me. I didn't even know who he was, okay?"

He met my gaze momentarily before puling his eyes away and diverting them on the path ahead, putting on this desperate to get home after school mind set on, which was usually believable, but considering the situation right now, was rendered nothing short of ridiculous. "Can you please just drop this?

"Fine." I grumbled, thankful that Pete's pace had slowed to allow us to walk side by side comfortably, because I really did not have the body or energy for that matter to keep up with Pete's speed walking at all.

"Do you know why Mikey wasn't at school today?" He asked, sparking up a new conversation, most likely for his own sake, and unfortunately for my persistent approach, this conversation just happened to be one that interested me more than just a little.

"Not a clue, man." I let out a sigh, running a hand back through my hair in a manner that was far too resembling of Gerard. "I hope he still isn't sulking from what you screamed in his face yesterday." I turned to Pete, flashing him a mildly pissed off glare. Mildly to ensure that he didn't end up in a far too sour mood to completely detach the possibility of answering my Skully related queries.

"You're getting some and he's not - I can understand - he's jealous." Pete winked at me and I simply resorted to rolling my eyes and wondering why the fuck I'd ever agreed to be friends with this absolute twat. Oh, yeah, Mikey.

"Pete, honestly, it's really more of the fact that Gerard's his brother.... Mikey's kind of 'weird' like that. They're both weird, I guess..." I trailed off, coming to the realisation of just how little I actually knew about either of the Way brothers.

"Weird is one way to put it, I guess." Pete shrugged the matter off, Mikey's absence clearly not affecting him clearly as much as it was affecting me.

"It's weird that when I think about it, I barely know them... I don't know why Mikey's so... I don't know, protective and sort of cold. I know there's something deep set between them, but god, Pete, there's just so much I don’t know."

Pete nodded, seeing this as if it was even taken for granted; something I really just did not see. "You can't expect to know everything about everyone."

"I know that, it's just they're Gerard and Mikey, they're important... and I have questions that never get believable answers. They'll say they'll tell me one day, but you know it kind of just feels like they never will."

"I get what you mean, but if it was really bad, would you want to know?" Pete turned and hit me with a question that left me in the unexpected rut of an incapability to answer.

"Huh?" I shot him a confused expression in return.

"If it was something so bad your opinion on them would change... like that you wouldn't love Gerard anymore, would you still want to know?" Pete pushed these words into my skull almost as if he wanted to witness the devastating effect that even his simple hypothesis could have on me.