Chapter Six

Well I don't think dinner could have been more awkward. I'm sitting next to Ryan, who's staring at the wall, while Sally tries to make small talk. Ashton fiddles on his phone while Eric stares at me. Seriously, he hasn't taken his eyes off of me once since dinner started.

I can tell Ryan has noticed this, because he keeps shooting glares at him, but that doesn't stop Eric. I fidget in my seat, not making eye contact with anybody. I don't know why I'm so upset about finding Ryan with that girl. For all I know, he could have girls stashed in his closet.

I should just get used to seeing that type of thing. Girls half dressed in his room. Obviously his parents are used to this. They don't even acknowledge the girl sitting across from us. She awkwardly fiddles with her spaghetti.

Seriously, why is she still here?

Once the tables all cleared, the boys go back to their bedrooms, the girl following behind Ryan. I go in the living room where Sally is and sit across from her on the couch.

"Hey, finally getting used to the place?" She asks me, putting down her magazine.

"Yeah, I'm starting to feel at home," I assure her. I give her a smile and plop my head down on the pillow.

"That's good, I was wondering if you needed anything for school?" She asks, turning on the news at a low volume.

"Actually, I think I'm good, just a bag to carry but other than that I'm good."

School starts up in about two weeks, which means I'll be the outsider of the school, the mysterious girl no one knows.

I head back up to go to my bedroom, just as my hand reaches the handle, Eric's hand covers mine, stopping me.

"Hey, do you want to hang out with me in my room?"

No.

"Sure," I say, following him to his room.

He shuts the door behind him, and sits down across from me, folding his hands together in front of him. I feel like I'm being questioned in an interview.

"What is it?" I ask.

He scratches the back of his neck.

"I just wanted to hang out," He says, shrugging. "I don't really know anything about you other than you're the prettiest girl I've ever seen," He blushes, I think he didn't mean to say that last part out loud.

"Okay, well what do you want to know?" I ask him, changing the subject.

"Well, for starters, when's your birthday?"

"Fourth of July, yours?"

"March sixth." He laughs with me. "Okay, how about-" He got interrupted by his door flying open.

"Why is she in here?" Ashton snarls. I roll my eyes at him. What did I ever do to him?

"We're just hanging out," Eric says kindly. I honestly think I like him the best, he wasn't mean or self centered like the other two were. Kevin's nice too, I like him.

"Oh, because you have a crush on her? We all know you do," He snaps for no apparent reason.

I look at Eric so see his face a tomato. "Ashton, leave us alone, no one asked for you to be here."

"Yeah, well guess what Tessa? No one asked you to be here either. Okay? No one likes you!"He snaps for what feels like the hundredth time this week. He slams the door shut behind him, shaking the room.

I sit there in shock for a little, and finally come to my senses. I get up and retreat to the door.

"Hey, where you going?" Eric asks politely.

"I just want to be alone for a little bit," I say, closing the door behind me. When I enter my room, I can't help the stray tears that fall down my cheeks. I lock the door behind me, falling into my bed. I try to muffle my sobs, but they can't seem to stop.

I'm not wanted anywhere. No one ever seems to like me, and there's nothing I can do about it. I let my hot tears soak my face, not even bothering to wipe them away.

The vase I made for my mom got thrown across the room in front of me, almost hitting my face. I sobbed into my hands when my father came up to me and slapped my face.

"Why are you crying?!" He screamed at me. That just made me cry harder. This was my every night when my mom worked late. she knew this happened too, yet she still left me with this abusing man.

He shoved me into the wall, getting in my face. "We never wanted to have you, you know that? You were an accident!"

I cried when he kicked me repeatedly on the floor. He hit me and kicked me for hours and there was nothing I could do. He would throw plates at me until I couldn't bleed or cry anymore.

Suddenly my door opens, and I violently wipe the tears off my face. I thought I locked that door?

"Were you crying?" Ryan comes in, crouching in front of me. His eyes meet mine, but I look away. I don't want his pity. I sniff, and lay on my bed, curling up in a ball.

"I locked that door, how did you get in?" I say,not answering his question.

"Oh, that door doesn't lock, it's broken," He says, sitting next to me on my bed. I should really keep that in mind.

"What's wrong?" He asks, pushing a stray lock of hair behind my ear.

"I'm not wanted here," I say. Why bother lie and pretend nothings wrong? You'd have to be blind to think I was wanted here. Even though that's not the only thing that's upsetting me.

I sometimes think Ryan is bipolar. I mean, one moment he's sweet and caring, and the next he's cursing me out and screaming at me. There's something wrong with this boy. I like the moments when he was sweet and caring though.

"Was it Ashton? If it was, ignore him, he gets all moody. It's his time of the month if you know what I mean,"He whispers the last sentence and I burst into laughter. He chuckles beside me and leans against the headboard on my bed.

"No but seriously, you're not what I expected," He says, fiddling with his fingers.

"What do you mean?"

"Most girls aren't so open and outgoing like you are. Especially if they had to live with three guys," He says like it's the most casual thing. But something about his words strike me. I'm glad he thinks I'm different from other girls. I'm not like them. Most girls in high school are so focused on drama and making another girls life a living hell, but me, I always backed away from the drama. I don't have the time for all the stress and the pimples that come with it.

"Well, thanks, I guess."

He smiles at me as Ashton comes in once again.

"What?!" I groan, throwing my head back on my pillow. I'm so sick of him, he only tries to aggravate me and I'm sick of it.

"What got your panties in a twist?" He says, smirking. God, I hate that smirk.

"You!" I practically scream. I storm off past him, entering the kitchen downstairs.

"Hey Tessa, everything okay?" Sally asks sweetly, taking a sip of her tea.

I nod my head and pick up a magazine on one of the racks.

"Oh! I was just about to bake cookies from a recipe on there, wanna help?" She asks, getting excited.

"I'd love to," I say, standing up. She squeals and starts rummaging through the cabinets. I swear, sometimes she is a teenager.