Chapter Eight

Ryan doesn't pick up the phone and I start to get worried. What if he's hurt? Isn't he supposed to be at a friends' house right now? Questions spill into my mind as I consider what may have happened. I'm overreacting right now, maybe he was just checking in or something. Deep down I know that's not why he was calling though. I call him again, and this time he picks up on the fourth ring.

"Hello? Tessa?" He pants into the reciever. I hear rustling in the backround, Is he running?

"Are you okay? Where are you?" I bombard him with questions. He is breathing really heavily and I don't know why, but it's scaring me. I can tell something's not right.

"I'm fine." He says, not answering my second question.

"Where are you?" I practically scream into the phone. I hear someone yell in the backround, "Ryan, get back over here, this isn't over!"

"Ryan, who was that? Where are you?"

"I'm in the bad part of town, but don't worry, I'll be back soon. Don't call mo-" I hang up on him, snatching my keys from the table. I know exactly where he is.

"Kevin, I'll be right back!" I yell down the hall. He yells an 'okay,' and I'm glad he doesn't further question me.

As soon as I reach the dark alley, I quietly make my way through the darkness, watching all around me. The smell of smoke and marijuana is very prominent and I'm now wondering why the hell Ryan would be here.

"Ryan?" I whisper. Suddenly, my mouth is covered by a rough hand, and I'm yanked to the ground. I scream into the hand, but it only comes out as a hum. I bite down on the man's hand, and he lets go, screaming in pain. I run in the other direction, with the man chasing after me.

I practically run into someone as I'm trying to get away from the creep. "Tessa?" Ryan grabs ahold of my shoulders and squints his eyes at me. "What are you doing here, you shouldn't be here."

"Neither should you," I spit back. I'm still trying to comprehend why he's here, especially this late at night.

The creep that was following me earlier comes up behind me and yanks on my arm, pulling me away from Ryan.

"Hey! Let go of her!" Ryan screams, shoving the guy, but his grip is still circulating on my arm.

"Why, you know this pretty girl?" The guy smirks, tightening his grip on me, if that's even possible. I whimper from the man's grip, it really is tight. I wriggle my wrist, trying to make him let go of me, but it's no use, he's too strong.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Ryan punches the man. He finally lets go of my wrist, but not before slapping me across the face. The man tackles Ryan to the ground as I bend over in pain from the hit. My face tingles and I let the tears fall. I am full on sobbing when Ryan screams for me to go back to the car, but my feet refuse to move. Ryan gives the guy one last blow to the face before the man finally runs away, cursing under his breath.

Ryan grabs my wrist and I yelp. That's my now very damaged wrist. I look up at him and his eyes soften when his eyes meet mine. We get into the car and he starts the engine. He turns the light on in the car and gasps when he sees my face. He brings his hands up and cups my face, searching my eyes.

"Did he hit you?" He asks, even though I'm sure he already knows the answer. I nod my head through my tears, and I can't help but let a sob escape from my lips. He gently takes my damaged wrists and places a soft kiss on the top.

"I'm so sorry I let this happen," He says, meeting my eyes once again. I know he didn't mean any of that. It's my fault, really. I shouldn't have come in the first place. I know I am glad I did though, or else god knows what would have happened to Ryan.

"It's not your-"

"Yes, it is. If I wouldn't have promised that guy money, none of this would have happened."

"What?" I ask, turning to face him in my seat.

"About a year ago, that guy over there was my friend. His family was having a hard time with money and I told him I'd help him. Long story short, I promised him a certain amount of money, but my parents thought this wasn't a good idea so they didn't let me come through with it," He looks in my eyes before he continues. "I felt bad, so I met up with him today to help him, but he started fighting with me. And... I found out he was on drugs today. So, obviously I'm done trying to help him."

I stay quiet, not really sure what to say. I feel bad for the guy that he felt the need to turn to drugs in a time when he needed help. But, I'm glad Ryan realizes that he should stop trying to help him.

We stay silent for a few minutes before we decide we should probably leave. Sally must be worried sick about us. It's one in the morning already, but I know I won't be sleeping tonight. I'm in so much pain, it's really uncomfortable. There's a large bruise on my face from the hit, and my wrist is swollen from the guys' grip.

"Are you okay?" I ask him, touching his cheek to examine the bruise. He sucks in a breath from my touch. That bad?

"Yeah, it's just swollen," He says. I can tell he's trying to make it sound not as bad as it is.

"I'll get you some ice when we get back," I half whisper to him, still staring at him for some unknown reason.

He pulls the car into the driveway and we get out. As soon as we open the door, Sally somehow manages to wrap her arms around both of us.

"Oh my god! You have a lot of explaining to do young man! Is that a bruise?" She touches his cheek and then looks at me. "Oh my god, you went to the alley again, didn't you?"

Ryan nods his head and looks away. "Can we all agree that you shouldn't go back there again? Obviously he doesn't deserve your help."

"I know mom, I'm done trying to help him. Now get Tessa some ice for her face and her wrist."

Sally examines me before getting the ice. "I'm sorry this happened. You know we would never want you to get hurt, right?" She asks and I nod my head. Of course I know that. Sally treats me like her own daughter, which I'm grateful for.
...

At three in the morning, I find myself walking into Ryan's room. I don't even know why I'm entering his room, but I am. It's like a magnet is pulling me to him.

I sit next to him on the bed. He's already in a sitting position when I stretch my legs out in front of me.

"What brings you here?" He teases.

"A magnet," My mouth speaks before I can think. I can't believe I just said that out loud. I probably sound ridiculous.

He chuckles lightly beside me, snaking his arm around my waist. I lay my head on his chest instinctively. My eyes flutter closed as he plays with my hair.

"How's your cheek?" He asks, twirling my hair between his fingers.

"Alright. How's your eye?"

"Alright," He repeats.

"I think I speak for everyone when I say what a day."

"Yeah, you do."
"Are you cold?" He asks.

"A little," I admit. He lies down next to me and pulls the warm blanket over us. He wraps his arms around me, pulling me to his bare chest. I take in his heavenly scent and close my eyes, thinking of his arms around me, and his piercing blue eyes.