Morning Race

Astrid's P.OV (1 week later)

I waited outside of Hiccup's house with my Deadly Nadder, Stormfly. I noticed Toothless asleep on the roof. So that means Hiccup didn't go out today. It's been one full week since the Red Death battle. Thanks to Hiccup, Dragons and Vikings live peacefully on Berk. Hiccup's doing okay too. He's still coping with not having part of his leg but I'm sure he'll survive it.

He's a Viking he can live with it. "... Hey sorry, I'm late," Hiccup came out of his house yawning then looked up at Toothless on the roof.

"You finally decide to show up," I say to him.

He whistled to Toothless then looked at me. "Yeah. I'm sorry." Toothless came down then started purring by Hiccup's side.

"Well your up now, so let's go," I say to him. He looks at me then to Toothless.

For the short period of time he was looking at me I notice something different... No, I'm just seeing things. "Okay, let's go," he says then gets on Toothless. I climb on Stormfly. "The last one to the cove has to drink rotten Yak Milk," he says then shoots up into the sky quickly.

Of course. Night Furies are fast. Deadly Nadder's are fast too. But not as fast as Night Furies.

"Stormfly go! Catch up to Toothless!" She shoots up into the sky. I see Toothless and Hiccup waiting in the air. Once he knows I'm up they shoot off into the direction of the cove. Typical Hiccup! I shot after him but can't catch up. I try to go faster. Can't see then.

Huh? I could've sworn he was here. Stormfly stops flying forward and just hovers in the spot. Where'd did he go? "Hiccup?" No reply. "Hiccup?"

Just then the clouds above me moved as a Night Fury came down quickly. "You called?" Hiccup asked.

"Disappearing act. Very funny."

"I don't know why you stayed here looking for me." He started. "If you have continued going you would've been at the Cove already." He adds then flies off a full speed.

Oh, he's right. If I wasn't so worried about where he was, I would've beat him. "C'mon Stormfly, after him," Stormfly shoots after him as fast as she can. But of course, I lost him.

After a few seconds, I see the cove. "Yes!" I fly down quickly landing by the spring. No sign of Hiccup or Toothless. "Yes, I beat him!"

"You really think so?"

I whip around to see Hiccup sitting on a rock and Toothless staring at me from an overhanging branch. "How long have you been here?" I ask him.

Hiccup looked at his leg then looked up. "About a minute or so." He started then balanced himself on both legs. "Never underestimate the speed of a Night Fury,"

"I know. They're fast," I say sighing.

"Deadly Nadders have incredible speed too, but they're heavy, they weigh themselves down, so their speed goes down." It's a good thing Hiccup knows a lot about dragons. If it weren't for him, everyone with Dragons on Berk would be so clueless.

"That's true," I say to him.

He sits gone in the center of a dirt circle with a lot of lines in it. He avoided all the lines than found himself in the middle. He sits on the rock in the middle then looked at me.

I slowly walk away from Stormfly. As I walk I step on one of the lines. Toothless growled from his spot. I lift my foot quickly. Toothless relaxed.

"Don't step on the lines," Hiccup pointed out.

"Okay..." I breathe then walk over the lines. I moved back and forth, left and right to try and avoid the lines. Slowly and carefully I reach the centre where Hiccup was. "What's that all that about?" I ask sitting down.

"Oh, when a Toothless and I first met, he drew this picture with a tree. I don't know what it is, but it means something to him." Hiccup started. "When you step on a line it's like breaking trust. I gained his trust after he drew this."

"You and Toothless really do have a good relationship."

"Yeah. We do, don't we bud?" Hiccup answered then asked his dragon.

Toothless roared in agreement. I laugh a little. "I used to always come here when I hid Toothless. This is where he crashed and this is where he stayed until I built him that tail." Hiccup said calmly.

"You built that first tail?" I ask him.

"Yeah," I knew he was smart in inventing things. He's always doing that. But I didn't know he could build an entire tail fin, connecting piece and saddle.

"Then Gobber made that one, but of course I made a few tweaks to it."

I smile. He's made so much since the Red Death battle. He lost a leg in that battle and he's okay with it. "You're done so much for the village, Hiccup. We thank you for that." I start. "You don't even have any time for yourself now." I say to him.

He turns to me. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, you're the head of the dragon training academy, you're the best dragon trainer Berk has ever seen,"

He looks away. Avoiding my look. "Yeah, but that's the only reason I'm known in Berk now. I mean, I'm the chief's only son and I'm not even noticed. I'm only noticed now because I brought peace between Dragons and Vikings." He explains standing up slowly.

He slowly and carefully makes his way out of Toothless' drawing, then goes to the spring next to it.

I follow him. "Well that doesn't matter now, that's the past," I say to him. "What matters now, is what you did for Berk. And how proud you made your father."

He nods slowly. "Yeah, that's true."

"Now c'mon. Soon it's gonna' be you drinking the rotten Yak Milk," I say then run to Stormfly. He runs to Toothless then waits a couple of seconds. For a moment I thought he was going to let me win. Until he shot up at full speed. Once again. Typical Hiccup.