Something Different

Astrid's P.O.V.

It's bright the next morning. Hiccup and I are once again meeting in the Cove. Except it wasn't a race this time. He left early this morning like he always does. I just left now. There was something about Hiccup that wasn't right. I don't know what it was, but whatever it was it can't be too important. Yesterday was the first time I saw him in a week.

After the Red Death Battle, he wasn't allowed to leave his house until he was completely stable with walking. So it might just be me thinking he's different when he's really not. I flew down to the cove then landed.

Toothless was asleep upside down on a tree branch. His wings were wrapped around him like a bat and his tail was curved over the branch covering his face. Hiccup was over the spring drawing with a stick. I get off of Stormfly then go to him. "Hey," I say to him. 

He turns as he looks at me. "Morning M'lady!"

M'lady? "What have you been doing?" I asked sitting next to him.

"Nothing really. Toothless has been napping since we got here, so I've been doing my own thing." He explains.

"Oh," He sighed then tossed the stick in the water. It landed making a splash but hit something that sounded metal. "What was that?" I asked.

"I dunno." I watch Hiccup stand up then walk to the edge of the spring. He grabs a long stick then pulls whatever the first stick hit. He picked up a small knife. "Oh, it's just my knife," he says then sits down.

"Why's it in the water?"

"I threw it into the water when I first met Toothless, I had to gain his trust."

"Does you're dad know you threw it away?" I ask.

"Nope," The knife was his dad's. I remember him getting it when both he and I were younger. "That's not a problem now. I have it now." Hiccup adds then puts it back under his vest in his belt loop where he always had it. "It's a good thing I found it," he says slowly.

"Wasn't that your dad's?" I ask.

"Well yeah, but my mother gave it to my dad to give to me. It's my mothers," he said then looked down.

"It's a part of you're mom," I say.

"So is this helmet," he says picking up the Viking helmet beside him. He looked upset now. I do feel bad for him. He's never met his mother. Everyone has their parents, but he's always been in a single-parent household. "It keeps her close." He said with a small laugh. Just then Toothless crept up beside him. He must've woken up. Hiccup scratched Toothless behind the ears. "Yeah, I'm okay bud." He says to the dragon.

Stormfly behind me. Hiccup stood up slowly. Toothless suddenly snorted then bolted past us to Stormfly. I laugh then walk to Hiccup. "You'd think he has a crush on her," I say to him. Hiccup laughed a little watching the two dragons.

"Deadly Fury dragons!" he says mixing the two breeds.

"It could be Night Nadder!" I say.

"No, Deadly Fury, sounds better."

I have to admit, it does doing cool. "Okay, you win," I say then start laughing. He laughs a little. Just then Stormfly came racing between us making the ground shake. Toothless tore behind her trying to keep up. He knocked Hiccup down with his tail, hitting him in the face with his prosthetic fin. I laugh harder going to him. "You okay?" I ask him for helping him up.

He dusted himself off. "Yeah, I'm fine,"

He looks down as he continues to dust himself off. "Well, as long as you're okay," I tell him sternly as a joke.

"Hey don't worry about me, I'm fine," he says then looks up.

I gasp as he does. "You're eyes," I say instantly.

"What?"

The pupils in his eyes were little slits. Like claws. "You're eyes are like little slits," I start.

"... And they're blue!"