- 24 -

- arabella -

When we got to my building, I jumped over Zayn and dashed out of the truck. My mind was swirling and the image of my ex's stare bounced around, the shivers were all over me.

"Arabella, you've got to be careful." Finally breaking his silence, Zayn says as he stops me from running back in. "You can't just jump over people-"

"Oh, you want to tell me to be careful?" I ask, yanking my arm out of his hand. "Really, Zayn? What would've you've done if I wasn't here? If I hadn't gone get you?"

"Can we not talk about it?" He sighs, running a hand through his hair. "It was a long day-"

"No, Zayn. Let's talk now." I interrupted him again, standing my ground and not caring that I had to pee. "Let's talk about how you defended my name. What happened?"

He stared at me, maybe hoping that I was kidding. "Let's go up. It's cold out here."

Groaning, I just turned around and stormed back in. Somehow, I had forgotten about the cold wind, I was that angry. Getting into the elevator and having him get in as well, he stopped it from going up as the other three boys jogged in.

"I need the loo." Niall says with an apologetic smile, standing in the corner next to Louis while Harry was across and Zayn on the other one. "You can talk."

The elevator was an awkward ride up, and when we got to the floor, everyone let out a breath. I unlocked my door and took off my shoes, throwing my purse on the floor.

"We were at a bar, it was kind of like a celebratory drink for Liam." Beginning his story, Zayn followed me into the kitchen. He stood a few feet back, "But before Liam could arrive, this dude passes by us and said pretty rude stuff about you-"

"Of course he will." I huff to myself, beginning to rinse off the dishes I used for my waffles that Niall ate. "He's my damn ex."

"I didn't know!" He says back, "I asked him if he could stop and he fucking hit me back with the 'and if I don't, what are you going to do' bullshit."

"To get you riled up."

"Arabella, you weren't there to fucking hear the shit he said." Almost barking back, I gave him my back again to keep myself from throwing a plate at him. "I'm not gonna let some asshole talk shit about you!"

"So what!?" Snapping at him, I slam the dishwasher door. "People have been doing that and I don't fight them. You've gotta learn how to fucking control yourself!"

"What!? Seriously?" Scoffing at me, he came closer. "You're mad I defended you?"

"I'm mad that you gave him the reaction he wanted! I'm mad that I'm not in bed right now! I'm mad that you made me go into that place! I'm fucking pissed, Zayn." Raising my voice, I push on his shoulders, I tried to control my emotions. "You're about to be a father, you can't just fucking go around fighting in every damn bar!"

"Don't bring the baby into this!" Exclaiming back, Zayn's face had become a shade darker, like he was holding back the anger. "The baby doesn't have anything to do with this."

"Yes it does." Almost laughing in his face, I stopped myself from cleaning to not break anything from the anger. "The baby is the only fucking thing holding us together! We don't have anything else. If it weren't for this, then I'm sure you would of gone back to-"

"Don't fucking bring her into this either, Arabella!" Finally exploding, he yelled back. "I want to actually try and have something for the baby to look up to! Guess you're just fine at being a single mother."

"Fuck you!" I yelled back, throwing a washcloth at his face. At the same moment the ball of cloth hit his face, the three guys stumbled in. "I let you into my life to give your sorry ass a chance, and what do you do? Rub in my face that you can walk away any minute?"

He kept quiet, eyes looking down as his chest heaved up and down quickly, hands turned into fists and neck veins popping out.

"I don't need you." I continued to yell, "We don't need you."

"Alright, let's walk away, mate." Harry went to Zayn, grabbing him by the shoulders and beginning to push him out. "Take a breather."

As soon as they left, I realized that I was crying. My eyes were burning and I couldn't breath correctly, my sides hurting as I tried to catch my breath.

"Bella, you've got to calm down a bit." In a soothing voice, Niall says, his hand rubbing circles on my back. "Come on, I'll help you up."

Grabbing onto my hand, he guided me out and up the stairs, Louis mumbling something about checking the others out.

"I'm sorry." I mumble to the blonde, continuing to cry. "I shouldn't have yelled at him."

Niall kept silent, he led me into my bedroom, giving me occasional pats in the back. Going to my closet, I grabbed him when he tried to leave.

"Could you stay here?" I mumble, suddenly afraid of passing out or having an attack. He looked confused, but nodded.

"I'll turn around." He informs, turning and facing a wall as I strip off my clothes. Whilst doing that, he talked to me. "You'd have to tell your family now, you're starting to show and I might've accidentally said it to the lads two days ago."

"Can I just have a fucking break?" I groaned, putting my face into my hands. "I will tell them. There's nothing else to do."

"Are you decent?" He asked and then turned when I hummed, he sat next to me. "Zayn's not bad. Give him a chance, Bella. He meant good."

"I know." I sighed, bumping his shoulder and standing up. "I'm going to go to bed now. Show yourselves out or stay. I don't care."

He laughed, walking behind me and straight to the door. "Night, Bella. See you tomorrow, probably."

I waved, "Shut the lights."

"Yes, mom."

-