15

"What happened to your dad? Why haven't you told him? I'm pretty sure he would've killed Johnson." I ask, as we sit across from each other at the dining room table.

We have the house to ourselves and I don't expect anything to happen, but to have this conversation.

"The reason why I didn't tell my dad is because he's going through so much himself. The reason him and my mom aren't together is because my dad used to hit her when he wasn't sober. After he realized what he did to her, he went to rehab. He's still in it, and she left him."

"How long has he been in rehab?"

"For a year now."

"Why that long?"

"Because he's tempted to drink every time he sees alcohol. He's still trying to control the alcohol, instead of having the alcohol control him." She taps her finger nails.

"How did you feel?"

"It didn't happen in front of me. I was sleeping over my cousin's house that night. Natasha. But when I got home the next day, I saw my mom with her bags packed and I saw my dad trying to remember that happened that night. He finally noticed what he has done once he saw the bruises he put on my mother."

"My dad hates himself. He always told himself that he'll never be like his father. His father used to always abuse my grandma until the point she killed herself. But the difference between my father and Johnson and my grandpa, is that my father lashed out once, while Johnson and my grandpa did it for fun."

"Damn." I speak.

"I met my grandpa and he said seeing me is what made every thing he has done to her, come back and haunt him. My dad hated his dad because my grandma didn't get a chance to see me or hold me. My grandpa begged my dad to let him see me, and he gave in, but I only got a 10 minute session with him."

"My grandpa later died. He committed suicide and we found a letter on his body. My dad read it and I believe he still have it 'til this day."

"WOW. What a story" I speak. "Have you ever thought about writing your own book?"

She nods her head. "Time will come, but you see the reason why I didn't tell my dad. He'll lash out when he finds out. I cannot let pain come into my dad's life anymore, nor my mom's"

"Has your mom ever think about getting back with your dad?"

"She has, but she's scared. She knows my dad loves her dearly, which is why he hasn't been in a relationship and vice versa. He's trying to give her a reason not to be scared anymore. He'll go visit her after his sessions at the center and tell her everything."

"I love seeing them together." She smiles.

"Damn!" I get up and walk over to the fridge. "Want something to drink?"

"Sure." She gets up. "Let's go to the beach party our school is throwing."

I hand her a drink. "Are you sure? I don't mind staying inside, even though it gets boring sometimes."

"I'm positive." She nods. "I'm taking your mom's advice. I cannot keep letting Johnson scare me and take away what is rightfully mine.... My dignity."

I look deep into her eyes and I'm not sure if I should go along with this. "No."

"Pleaaasse." She starts to pout. She holds my hand and I break eye contact. She is not going to get me to give in. I refuse.

"Pweeetty please!" She moves closer to me. "With a cherry on top."

I keep fighting the urge, but I finally said "Yes."