19

Back in school and shit never felt so different. The halls are quiet as hell as I walk through. Some start cheer and others begin to talk shit, but I won't let that get to me. I walk pass Johnsons locker and I see little flowers covering it. I expecting a whole bunch, but after they heard about him, people started to look at him differently.

I stop and put a picture of his mother on his locker. His funeral wasn't packed either. I attended it with Malaysia and Darryl. He had some family members from his mom side and of course his father attended, but sat all the way in the back. Some of his teammates attended and even carried the coffin.

I put the picture like he wanted me to, and I got them to bury him next to his mother. Well, with the help of his aunt. Shit was sad. I didn't want to see buddy end his life, but it happened.

I knew guilt kept eating Malaysia alive, even though none of this is her fault. She was terrified at the funeral and kind of scared to attend school. I told her everything will be ok, and she took my advice. I walk towards Ryan.

"Hey." We do our handshake.

"Hectic weeks."

"I know." He looks at his girlfriend, then at me. "Where is Paige?"

"Desmond will be bringing her. He wants to let everyone know that he's not fucking around about his little sister."

"I don't blame him." Brian agrees. "Where's Malaysia?"

"Her dad will be bringing her. He's pissed off."

"I don't blame him either."

"Yeah, but hopefully we'll see her today." I pull out my phone to check for any text messages.

__

"Ok class." Ms. Spencer walks in. "I hope you guys know what today is, so pull them out and be ready to present.

I look around the classroom. I kept getting suspended, that I don't have a clue about what she is saying.

"And if you don't have it, you're grade is dropping a letter grade." She walks around the classroom collecting papers.

Malaysia comes walking in the classroom with a pass in her hand and hands it to Ms. Spencer. She then comes and sit by me. "What's going on?" She whispers.

"She's collecting papers that are due today. I don't know what, though."

Malaysia raise her hand.

"Yes?" Ms. Spencer speaks.

"What paper are you collecting?"

"The two-paged essay on love." She walks to the front of the class.

"Ahh shit." I say.

"Ahh shit is right, but.." She adjusts the papers in her hand. "I heard what happened with everything between you guys. And for that, I will exempt you guys from this grade."

I smile. "Why?"

"Because taking a bullet for someone is love." Ms. Spencer smiles. "and that cannot be written. Actions speaks louder than words and Drake, you did your thing. I am proud."

The class starts to clap.

"And Malaysia." Ms. Spencer speaks. "I am proud of you. Though, we had this talk a long time ago, I am glad that you finally escaped."

Malaysia smiles and looks at me. I smile back.

"Ok." She walks around the classroom. "First to present is Ryan and Kayla."

**

"Come on." Malaysia says pulling me into her house.

"I do not feel like dealing with your dad." I try my best to convince her why, but she just keeps pulling me in.