- chapter - eight -

The two weeks that followed had me so busy with schoolwork, especially with midterms coming up, that it was practically impossible to hang out with even Blythe, never mind go back to Eamon's house and have a heart to heart about my abilities. Still, during study hall he would sometimes transmit to me and there was a night where he hailed me on my imparter and we talked until both of us fell asleep. 

It felt weird. Suddenly Eamon Foster wasn't the enemy who I hated growing up, but he was a friend. Three weeks before, if someone told me I wouldn't hate Eamon Foster I'd laugh. If someone had told me I'd think of him as a friend, I'd laugh even harder. I guess life just worked mysteriously. 

Things continued on as normally as they could with my secret abilities on the horizon, until I got home from school on the two week anniversary of my first ever ability training session and both my parents were waiting for me, talking quietly in the living room. 

I was confused, usually at least one of them would always watch over the restaurant. "Hello?" I called out to them when I entered the room and both immediately jumped up. 

My mom waved around a scroll in her hand as if it was a prize. "You were summoned." 

"I was what?" I looked at them with widened eyes. 

"Not like that," my father cut in, rolling his eyes in my mother's direction. Being summoned generally meant being put to trial. "She meant as in your presence was asked for."

"By who?" I asked. 

"Apparently the request we placed when you were much younger to see Councilor Terik was just accepted." He narrowed his eyes. "We're not sure about the sudden change of heart. Apparently you were recommended by Leulla Foster, who was asked to recommend you by her mother." 

"Oh." 

"Since when have you been in contact with Sophie Foster?" My mother looked at me with what could only be described as betrayal. "She's not exactly the type of person we want you idolizing, no matter how much the general public loves her. She got where she has because of genetics, not because of hard work." 

I sighed. I knew how my parents felt. I'd gotten the speech plentiful times. "I'm not in contact with Sophie Foster. She must have said something to Leulla about me after my run in with Eamon and then mentioned something about potential. I don't know." I silently cursed Eamon for making things harder. He had one job. 

"Well, your father is going to take you Friday night." 

"Wait, but that's when Blythe and I were supposed to have our sleepover," I immediately complained. With everything crazy happening in my life we still hadn't gotten around to finally having one, and I finally got to a point where I felt confident I wouldn't accidentally give my powers away to her. 

"You can still have it," my dad assured. "You'll just have to push it back maybe an hour."

I pursed my lips but nodded. "Okay. I'll go call her, and I still need to finish my homework." While I was still planning to keep my ability a secret, I had slowly grown accustomed to having it. It was slowly becoming like a second nature to me, which sounded kind of scary. It felt as if there was never a time before I had the ability. 

My mentor also said that I was a fast learner, and decided to give me some easy assignments to practice at home that focused on controlling myself so I wouldn't accidentally burn my home down to the ground. Well, those were my words. She tried to assure me that I wouldn't be burning anything down anytime soon, that that was a little extreme and while a fast learner I was still new to the art, and big fires were definitely something that took practice.