Ch 3- Remi

I had the perfect idea for Micah's dinner but wasn't sure if the kitchen had what I would need. As I walked into the kitchen, Dave stopped me.

Dave's perfectly pedicured hands were folded in his arms as he glowered at me. What now?

"Everything okay, Dave?" I knew it wasn't. I had no idea what had set him after me, but there we were. Standing in the entryway to the kitchen while Shay glided past us.

"You have a visitor at the back," he indicated towards the back of the kitchen to the door that led out to the dumpsters and loading dock.

ShitNot only were we not supposed to have personal visitors, no one was supposed to come to the back door unless it was one of our vendors. It didn't help that I had a feeling I knew exactly who my 'visitor' was by the disgust written all over Dave's face.

"Sorry, I'll make it quick."

"You better. You're here to work not socialize," he sneered.

Dick... 

He was right, but it wasn't like I had asked for a visit from the fucker or for him to come bother me at work!

Before heading out back, I talked to the chef. They had everything they needed for the special dish. Although we didn't do specialty dishes like this often, they knew the patron in the dining room was a reason they did special dishes now and then. I went over what I wanted and they set to work making the pasta dish.

I wanted to make sure my tables were looked after so I tapped Shay on the shoulder as she was getting refills for her table. It wouldn't be long and Shay was hitting the slower part of her night. She wasn't flustered anymore and was more willing to help me out.

As soon as I opened the back door, cigarette smoke hit my face causing me to gag. Cursing under my breath I propped the door open with a wooden wedge.

I hadn't seen that face in a month and had been hopeful that I would never see it again. My ex was a tall, pale, slender, wearing his pants too low, and a complete pain in my ass.

I didn't know what the hell had I ever seen in him.

"There's my sweet cheeks," he said excitedly. He took another drag from his cancer stick before he put it out and spread his arms to welcome a hug.

"What do you want Ben?" I snipped. I didn't want him in my life and I sure as shit didn't want him at my job. He knew how I felt about him showing up out of the blue at my work, of all places. He closed the distance between us and I swatted his hands away. "You know I can get in trouble when you visit like this. Why are you here? What do you want?"

He stumbled backward and gripped his chest like I had just shot him. Rolling my eyes as I crossed my arms across my chest. I was so sick of his stupid games.

"Is that any way to greet me? With all that we have? After all that we went through together? I would have thought you'd be excited to see me again." Wagging his eyebrows at me and licking his teeth suggestively. Dropping his hands, he watched me, not looking me in the eyes. It felt as though his stare was undressing me as we stood under the roofed loading dock.

"Had," I corrected him. The rain was hammering down hard and it looked like Ben had gotten caught in some of the storm.

"What?" His brow wrinkled and his eyes glassed over. 

"All that we had. We are no longer together. We were done a year ago, Ben! Just because we got into bed together last month, doesn't mean I want and or need it again." I really didn't want to piss him off, but it wasn't hard. His temper had always been short. Ever since he had messed things up with our relationship, he blamed everyone and anyone for his fuck-ups. "Plus, I told you last time that I didn't want to see you again."